• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you think of this WotC retweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
What's the risks for non white males?
I can't pretend to answer that authentically, but here are some possibilities. Of course everyone is different. I think these are just some typical things that non-white-males run into more often than white males.

- Society has put barriers up in your life many times before now, and punished you in various ways when you try to overcome them. Your current status is safe; moving to a new city and a new job may run into those barriers.

- You have been unable to overcome those barriers in the past, and it hurts emotionally when that happens. You may experience the same thing here.

- People you don't know can hurt you in ways you can't respond to. Going to work at a new job may lead to that.

- When you don't live up to people's expectations, you are punished in various ways. That might happen if you take a job you aren't certain you can handle.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can't pretend to answer that authentically, but here are some possibilities. Of course everyone is different. I think these are just some typical things that non-white-males run into more often than white males.

- Society has put barriers up in your life many times before now, and punished you in various ways when you try to overcome them. Your current status is safe; moving to a new city and a new job may run into those barriers.

- You have been unable to overcome those barriers in the past, and it hurts emotionally when that happens. You may experience the same thing here.

- People you don't know can hurt you in ways you can't respond to. Going to work at a new job may lead to that.

- When you don't live up to people's expectations, you are punished in various ways. That might happen if you take a job you aren't certain you can handle.

See also Chris Rock’s routine about giving a black man a job, then giving a job to...*ahem* ”someone of the same ethnicity, but a different & stereotypical work ethos” (to be Grandma friendly).

He’s joking about how there’s a certain “contagion” we still have to deal with that whites simply don’t. In 1986, I became the first black guy to graduate from my small, well-regarded private HS. In my junior year, another black kid came in as a freshman. Shortly after the resumption of classes post Christmas break, he and an Italian American kid were caught red-handed stealing from lockers and immediately expelled. No other kids of Italian descent got the hairy eyeball, but there was a decided increased chill in my direction the rest of the year.

renbot

Adventurer
Hard to reason with people who don't like the truth....the fact is America is not very racists, it's just not.

To imply otherwise is crazy.

I dare anyone to make a racists comment(even a minor one) on social media and see if you still have a job the next day, let alone ever getting hired again.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Wait, that was a joke right?

gyor

Legend
This thread is not going to go well.

Nope, one guy asks a simple question with an understandable concern, and a belief in meritoracy, then has the intersectional feminists mob go after him for it.

Look I think anybody who is interested in the position should apply for it, no matter race, gender, sex, etc...

Now I don't think WotC retweeting her tweet means white men need not apply, I think they are just trying to encourage people from groups who might nit be as quick to apply, to give it shot, which is find, a good idea even.

And I do support diversity in the game, but it should happen organically, not because of racial or gender discrimination. It won't end well.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
Look I think anybody who is interested in the position should apply for it, no matter race, gender, sex, etc...

Now I don't think WotC retweeting her tweet means white men need not apply, I think they are just trying to encourage people from groups who might nit be as quick to apply, to give it shot, which is find, a good idea even.

And I do support diversity in the game, but it should happen organically, not because of racial or gender discrimination. It won't end well.
I don't think anyone in this thread has disagreed with anything you say here, so what's the basis for
Nope, one guy asks a simple question with an understandable concern, and a belief in meritoracy, then has the intersectional feminists mob go after him for it.
?

S

Sunseeker

It's NOT an understandable concern. It has nothing to do with meritocracy and it has nothing to do with feminists either.

His position is completely irrational. His concern is unfounded make-believe. And it should be treated as such.

Kobold Boots

Banned
Banned
I'm pretty tired of the race, politics, discussions on this forum.

Therefore, I'll support ENWorld going forward and continue to buy its products, but I'm leaving the discussion community.

Only posting this because it should be referenced somewhere that allowing this sort of thing to continue, while it certainly drives traffic, post counts and supports free speech - doesn't fit everyone's cup of tea for where they want to spend time - and "if you don't want to read it, don't read it" doesn't cut it when you don't know what you're getting in to based on the title of the thread.

Be well. Maybe I'll be back in another five years.
KB

Uchawi

First Post
An employer can be as diverse and/or inclusive as they want, but if job openings are limited then is the intent of a message like this to gain leverage? Even if the only influence is hoping a man may be chosen over a woman, or vice versa. At some point you are just going to have to trust that if you are talented enough then eventually you will find a job or become self employed and write the next hit game. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

S

Sunseeker

I'm pretty tired of the race, politics, discussions on this forum.

Therefore, I'll support ENWorld going forward and continue to buy its products, but I'm leaving the discussion community.

Only posting this because it should be referenced somewhere that allowing this sort of thing to continue, while it certainly drives traffic, post counts and supports free speech - doesn't fit everyone's cup of tea for where they want to spend time - and "if you don't want to read it, don't read it" doesn't cut it when you don't know what you're getting in to based on the title of the thread.

Be well. Maybe I'll be back in another five years.
KB

Hold on, I think I have a quote for this:

God people like you are whiny.

You know what I'm tired of? I'm tired of having intelligent discussion shot down by arguments of "this is a community about gaming".
I'm tired of glorified alt-right trolls being tolerated on forums across the internet in the name of "free speech".
I'm tired of having an education that allows me to see the problems in my hobby, only to be told by others that "everything is fine".
I'm tired of people on arguably the least political forum I have ever been on complaining about the one or two political threads that come up among the dozens of game-related threads.
I'm tired of those threads being filled with people who don't understand anything about the issue spouting off like they're the God Emperor of political debate.

The gaming community has problems. Sticking your head in the sand, running away from them, avoiding discussion, refusing to participate in that discussion, poop-posting in threads on that discussion is tiresome to me. I want to improve the gaming community, I want more people playing the games I love, I want my friends to feel comfortable walking into a gaming store while female.

The gaming community IS us. It won't change without US changing and it needs to change, we​ need to be that change.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads