• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think when DM introduces old PC as an NPC?

As a player what is your reaction when a DM introduces an NPC that is an old PC?

• Oh no!! Eeek!!

Votes: 22 7.3%
  • This can't be good

Votes: 34 11.3%
  • Sigh...well it might not suck

Votes: 43 14.2%
  • okay, let's see where he goes with it

Votes: 145 48.0%
  • if it is his favorite it should be good

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • Awesome, it must be being introduced for a great reason

Votes: 45 14.9%

IcyCool

First Post
Crothian said:
So, as a player what is your reaction when a DM introduces an NPC that is an old PC of theirs? Poll coming.

Me? I think of Dick Marvel. And oddly enough, Billy Ray Cyrus...

Parlan

First Post
It's kinda fun to see old PCs to get to sense of "Where are they Now?" for a few minutes. After that, however, I want them to Exit Stage Left ASAP.

I don't even want to hear stories about how great the DM's last character was. I certainly don't want to waste good game time with him showing me!!

Thaniel

First Post
I said great because I'm thinking it's a player's old PC brought back as an NPC. Not the DM's old PC.
I've had a couple characters brought back by the dm as NPCs. It was good.

Sanackranib

First Post
the character tends to be already flushed out. we had an occasion where our DM moved and I elected [or was ellected] to take over the existing game . . .my character had been the partys main rogue and backup mage [multiclassing rocks!] since I had been the party leader it proved difficult to completely remove the character from the game. I didnt adventure with them but proved to be a valuable contact in Waterdeep for them. esp since they had been crashing at my pad!

its tricky, but so is running any NPC . . .

StupidSmurf

First Post
I HAVE used one of my PCs as an NPC...but in a very limited way.

One of my favorite characters is a Bard named Mendrill. I created him when I played AD&D, and had to go through all that Fighter, then Thief, then Bard BS. When I imported him into the Realms, I was no longer actually playing him. But...he's made a good mischievous rogue who sometimes hears a valuable piece of information that may be of use to the party, should they happen to cross paths.

Generally, since he's a wandering bard type, I have an approximate area of Faerun that I consider to be his "stomping grounds", and the party has a certain likelihood of meeting him if they stay at some of the better inns or visit some of the more popular taverns along the way.

He's not there to show how powerful he is, or how much "better" he is than the PCs. He's there as a role-playing foil, a bit of timely info, and possibly, once in a rare while, the source of an adventure hook. Why doesn't HE go off on these adventures, if he's so darned powerful? His answer: "I sing about tales of adventure, I don't act in them, thank you very much!"

lukelightning

First Post
I like using old PCs as non-adversary NPCs, in situations like "I need an NPC cleric for the town temple...hmm, I'll just dust off old Silas the Holy and say he's the high priest." Since I've already RP'ed him and developed a personality, it makes it more fun (or at least easier) to play.

Normally I don't "import" the PC verbatim. Silas the Holy may have been a Pelor type, but I might switch him to being a cleric of Heironius. And I'll normally change the name to avoid becoming too attached to him.

Barak

First Post
One, I never, ever have a NPC adventure with the group on a long-time basis. I have enough stuff to do during combat without running a "PC" of my own. Two, it sets the stage to have the NPC steal too much glory. I had a NPC with the party for about 2 hours (game time), in which there was 2 combats, and even though said NPC was suckier than the PCs (he was an orc Warrior 1, the PCs were 3rd-4th level), through luck he ended up killing more than 50% of their foes.

So that's solved. As for the rest.. My players never played with me, I had a different group entirely when I was playing. So I do "base" some NPCs on some of my old PCs, and they have no way of knowing. The main reason I do that is that it makes it extremely easy to roleplay those NPCs, since I know very well how they think and act.

godawful

First Post
Cuz I had to...

My game group recently started with 4 players, none of whom would play a caster. period. i was about to run them through the forge of fury module, and knew that 4 guys with no caster prolly wouldn't last long. so i pulled in a 5th level wiz character i had in a big folder of old pc's and npc's gained at certain points in modules. it is because of this wizard npc that they survived the roper encounter therein. (yes, a cr10 EL in a 4th level module) the barbarian was down, the dwarf fighter was down, and the rogue was down, all being dragged to the maw of the evil critter. the wiz npc had been knocked to zero strength.

so the cleric decides to go run in and cast restoration on the fighter to get him back up a few str points. i knew it was a wasted effort, so i tell the cleric he hears a voice from his deity telling him that the now immobilized wiz laying at the back of the room was the only chance this party had of possibly making it out alive. so he does cast restoration, gets the wiz up to about 3 str and it was obvious that the next 4 rounds would be the end of the campaign, so i just point blank told them... "the wiz can do a fireball a couple of times, you guys may/may not live but it's prolly the only chance you have of continuing this campaign"

"grumble... ok"

so i blast them/it... twice... knocking it out and taking 2 characters down and destroying most of their gear. they had to sell about everything they owned for rezzes. so... now they won't let me retire the wiz without a mutiny. they are all level 10ish now and they still get into situations where the wiz has to ask "so who can take a fireball/cone of cold?"

the npc helps them when it's important, saves their but and or kills someone in the process. i like to think of it as a cursed blessing to the players. hehe. and the wiz basically just shuts up and stays put until something goes terribly awry and is needed. and they are fine with it.

Arnwyn

First Post
For me, it would depend on the context in which the DM was introducing the NPC.

I have no problems with the basic idea, though.

Remove ads