What do you use for naval combat/ship-to-ship action?

The_Universe

First Post
Psion said:
I own several of these, but I've found the system in Seas of Blood the easiest to use, despite all the seafaring supplements that have come and gone since then.
Do you use the entire ruleset? Morale checks for the crew and all?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
The_Universe said:
Let Mark have them - while my greed almost won out, I have to admit that I already have all the Seas of Blood books (if nothing else, the deckplans are useful)!

Thanks! :)

Barendd Nobeard said:
Sure! If The_Universe doesn't want them, they're yours!

For you, Mark, the cost is a painted mini. Your choice of mini and paint job--but since I totally suck at painting, I'm raising the cost for you! :p

Well, I'm no painting expert but I can do a fair job, I'd say. Do you have a preference of the type of figure?

Here's some ideas, but don't be constrained. Just my quick thoughts:

I have a human druid in LG that doesn't have a figure yet. He's Suel with gray eyes and blonde hair. I use a rakshasa D&D mini for him.

I am starting a Star Wars game on Thursday, and I don't even have a character concept yet. So that's a wide-open need. ;)

Other than that, there's nothing that I really need, so whatever would be fun & easy for you to do is great!

I like all things fantasy (men, monsters, dragons, etc.) & horror (anything from Call of Cthuhu, zombies & vampires & undead in general, etc). Heck, I'd take just about anything. The only thing I wouldn't want would be sci-fi (unless it's a Star Wars fig for my character in that game) or "mech" figs.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Barendd Nobeard said:
Heck, I'd take just about anything.

Well, I usually carry a bunch of figures around in a huge EN World Dice Bag that some cool cat gave me for GM's Day but those get a bit worn from usage. Be that as it may be . . . :D

I'll have to come up with particularly keen if I am going to impress a man from the north. Since you've given me some latitude, I've actually got a couple of things in mind and will work something out by the 21st. I think you'll be pleased.

qstor

Adventurer
Arnwyn said:
Actually, we still use 2e's Of Ships and the Sea (with a couple of 3e tweaks, which are easy to add).

We're very happy with it.

Out of curiousity...what tweaks did you make? :)

I have Corsair, Salt and Sea Dogs and Stormwrack. Corsair is good for combat with gunpowder weapons.

Mike

Arnwyn

First Post
qstor said:
Out of curiousity...what tweaks did you make? :)
For the most part we just added some skill checks/DCs to make skills more useful (a lot of what Stormwrack suggests, actually). Basic stuff like that.

We also added a couple more ship statistics, such as 'start-up time' (the amount of time it takes for a ship to start moving) and the time it takes for a ship to reach maximum speed, etc. Little things like that, which have a high probability of coming up in a game. [And yes, 'start-up time' comes up a lot, when the PCs are running down the pier towards their ship screaming at their First Mate to hoist the mainsails as they are chased by bloodthirsty pirates they angered in the dockside tavern...]

(I'd provide more detail, but I post from the office...)

Last edited:

Remove ads