• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Does A Developer Do?

People who make roleplaying games do so under a variety of job titles, especially those at larger companies. Developers and designers are two roles which on the face of it sound similar - but are they? Is a lead designer like a developer? What does a producer do? Erik Mona's job title at Paizo is "Publisher". Obviously, every company has its own job titles, and a title at one company may mean something different at another. Paizo's Editor-in-Chief, F. Wesley Schneider, shared what a developer does, at least at Paizo -- the short version is that "Developers are to Pathfinder RPG products what directors are to films"; the longer version is below. Talking of developers, Paizo has a new assistant developer, Linda Zayas-Palmer.

People who make roleplaying games do so under a variety of job titles, especially those at larger companies. Developers and designers are two roles which on the face of it sound similar - but are they? Is a lead designer like a developer? What does a producer do? Erik Mona's job title at Paizo is "Publisher". Obviously, every company has its own job titles, and a title at one company may mean something different at another. Paizo's Editor-in-Chief, F. Wesley Schneider, shared what a developer does, at least at Paizo -- the short version is that "Developers are to Pathfinder RPG products what directors are to films"; the longer version is below. Talking of developers, Paizo has a new assistant developer, Linda Zayas-Palmer.

They're involved in concepting projects. They pitch ideas, participate in product brainstorms, take part in world-building discussions, create outlines, and determine the best freelancers to work on products.

They're freelance wranglers. They divide projects into assignments, contact and organize freelancers, oversee milestones and deadlines, stay in communication throughout the project, review freelance handovers, request revisions, and serve as liaisons to other parts of the company the freelancer might need to contact. Internally, they report on their experiences with freelancers and their work with the rest of the creative team.

They're accomplished game designers, writers, and editors. They review the work of freelancers checking to make sure their decisions are logical, interesting, and in keeping with Pathfinder game rules, world canon, and company philosophies. This often means reworking stories, revising statblocks, redrawing maps, adjusting/recreating rules subsystems, improving the writing, and creating new content whole cloth. Many of the words you read in Pathfinder RPG products are the writing of developers (and designers and editors).

They're bookmakers. They select what parts of the text will receive illustrations, write art briefs, work with the art staff to make sure text fits/fills every page, write credits pages/back cover copy/preview text, answer all questions relating to their projects (from editors, art staff, or others), and solve any of the countless problems that might arise at any step of the book creation process. They do all this while striving to keep to the march of our varied subscription lines.

And a thousand other things. A developer helms the organization and creation of content for nearly every one of our product lines—Pathfinder Adventure Path, Campaign Setting, Modules, Player Companion, Pathfinder Society, etc. Additionally, they're all active on these boards, attend and run games at conventions, and help chart the course of the Pathfinder world. They're advocates for the Pathfinder game, representatives of Paizo, and active agents in making the gaming community more exciting, engaging, and welcoming.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Although i would never want to do it -- too many fine details and people management elements -- "Developer" is a really great job. When i was writing for Exalted many moons ago, my friend Geoff was Developer of that line and I got some insight into what it is all about. He basically got to create two things: world in the fiction of the game, and the actual game itself. For organized creative types it is an amazing job. And you don't have to work at a big company like WotC or (back then) White Wolf to do it -- with e-publishing being what it is today, anyone with the right skills and dedication can be a developer. Us writers-for-hire are a dime a dozen, and I know for myself I much prefer to have a developer: deadlines and boundaries make me a better writer.

Grimjack99

First Post
I agree. In many ways design, while demanding, is often the most fun part of making a game. Developing, while enriching, is work, and a developer has to juggle many parts. Many players are designers at heart, and dream of developing their own game one day. I was the same. But, I learned the hard way, a good designer doesn't always make a good developer. My hats off to both.

Oliver Shead

First Post
Sounds like heaps of fun, though a lot of work. Being a movie director is similar in that respect. Great freedom to create something awesome - but lots of responsibility to go along with it.

JuliaFor9

First Post
The design of the game is one of the important part. Because the players download the game because they see interesting design, then they decide was the game good or bad.

JamieEvan

First Post
My opinion is the same as lynnfredricks. This position would be called Product Manager.
To be a game developer, you must truly love games. Not just playing games, but understanding games.

City of Mist

First Post
Wow, that's a very cool post -- it gives insight into the real work, not just designing but everything involved in producing a game.
And as a current game developer and ex-product manager I can attest to its truth and totally agree with the last few comments.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
Here at Atlas, we typically call this position a producer when it involves card or board games. My title is Director, because theoretically I could hire a developer for each RPG line that we have and oversee their work, but as it happens I'm doing developmental work on most of them myself. We break down RPG production into concept, writing, development, editing, graphic design/layout; most of those are done by different people, but the producer could take on any one of them and do it on top of making sure the others are being taken care of.

For example, our in-house game producer Kyla does all of the layout and art direction for card games like Gloom and Once Upon A Time, but she doesn't handle the art or writing or editing herself. We have others who do that work. However, Kyla oversees those people and ensures that we make budget, get the right print quotes, reviews the proofs when they show up, and so forth.

I do the same with RPG titles; for Ars Magica, I had been doing art direction and layout, but moved the layout to a freelancer to give myself more time. But with Feng Shui 2, I was developer and managed playtesting, with art direction and layout being the responsibility of Hal, who was working with us under contract. For Pillar of Fire, I'm designing the game and will develop it, but I'm likely to farm a bunch of the writing to others who will work from my system reference document and outline.

Cheers,
Cam

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads