What does D&D mean to movie goers?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Greetings,

I recently read some thoughts shared by Sean Astin about LotR film back in 2001. Sean and cast were worried that the studio was marketing it like "Dungeons and Dragons". Now im not sure if Sean is referring to the 1999 film, which was still recent at the time, or if he thinks there is something less serious about Dungeons and Dragons itself? An interesting distinction because im curious what people today, in 2021, will expect of a Dungeons and Dragons movie? (By people, I dont mean D&D players and fans, but movie going public in general)

Could this dynamic end up flipped and folks now expect a "classical feel" similar to LotR or even Game of Thrones? The writers have indicated they are aiming for a Guardians of the Galaxy feel. How important will the marketing be to the success of the upcoming D&D film?

-Cheers

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Geek culture was not yet dominant in 2001. Lord of the Rings is part of what flipped that around and then the Marvel Cinematic Universe kicked down the wall and took over pop culture.

Among the general audience that watches the Witcher or MCU films, I don't think it's going to be tough to sell the D&D film at all. Even the previous D&D films aren't an obstacle -- the Roger Corman Captain America and Fantastic Four films were awful (worse than the D&D films) and in no way slowed Marvel down with their films.

I think everyone who follows Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings on Facebook is likely to get a lot of D&D movie ads shoved at them. Heck, if Hasbro was smart, they'd be pushing the D&D Live ads at them now.

aco175

Legend
I'm wondering what people are expecting from a D&D movie. I would want more LotR/ GoT instead of Witcher or something more Dark Sun and Eberron. Not sure if the old middle ages England troupe is what is expected.

I guess if the story and characters are relatable, it will be a good movie even if not what I want. My wants and your wants may be far apart.

ScYork

Explorer
Yes more LOTR/GOT, take D&D more serious with a great story line and more believable characters and you could have a potential series of movies on your hands. I want something well done to make me want to return for a second and third movie.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Geek culture was not yet dominant in 2001. Lord of the Rings is part of what flipped that around and then the Marvel Cinematic Universe kicked down the wall and took over pop culture.

Among the general audience that watches the Witcher or MCU films, I don't think it's going to be tough to sell the D&D film at all. Even the previous D&D films aren't an obstacle -- the Roger Corman Captain America and Fantastic Four films were awful (worse than the D&D films) and in no way slowed Marvel down with their films.

I think everyone who follows Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings on Facebook is likely to get a lot of D&D movie ads shoved at them. Heck, if Hasbro was smart, they'd be pushing the D&D Live ads at them now.
What I believe Mr. Astin was getting at is that LotR isnt geek culture. Its a classical epic like The Iliad and thats the type of film they were making. However, the studio was marketing it like a Dungeons and Dragons movie which is geek culture. Whether you agree with that or not isnt material to the what im after. Lets say the next D&D film is supposed to be like an MCU film. How can the studio market it correctly, not to you, but to general movie goers?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What I believe Mr. Astin was getting at is that LotR isnt geek culture. Its a classical epic like The Iliad...

That seems to me to be a false dichotomy, and that has become clear in the two decades since.

Lets say the next D&D film is supposed to be like an MCU film. How can the studio market it correctly, not to you, but to general movie goers?

Well, if it is like an MCU movie, you market it like one.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
What I believe Mr. Astin was getting at is that LotR isnt geek culture. Its a classical epic like The Iliad and thats the type of film they were making. However, the studio was marketing it like a Dungeons and Dragons movie which is geek culture. Whether you agree with that or not isnt material to the what im after. Lets say the next D&D film is supposed to be like an MCU film. How can the studio market it correctly, not to you, but to general movie goers?

Yora

Legend
When I hear Dungeons & Dragons movie, I am expecting something like a shonen anime style B-movie with a big budget. No idea if that's still justified, but that's what I assume it would be.

Cardbord cutout chracters by actors making poor performances because if the lack of direction and a brainless script, fighting generic dark lords and dragons in cheap CGI environments, while appearing to be under the delusion that it's deep and dramatic cinema.
Like a DC superhero movie or Fast & Furious.

Remove ads