What does OAD&D stand for?

What's the chronology of all the editions, anyway?
  1. Chainmail
  2. OD&D (white box, diaglo's game)
  3. Basic (and it's later incarnations) -- red box, followed by green, blue, gold box, etc.
  4. 1e -- 1st edition AD&D
  5. 2e -- self explanatory
  6. 3e -- ditto
  7. 3.5
Am I missing any important rulesets, or is the order wrong on any of them?

johnsemlak

First Post
What's the chronology of all the editions, anyway?

1. Chainmail
2. OD&D (white box, diaglo's game)
3. Basic (and it's later incarnations) -- red box, followed by green, blue, gold box, etc.
4. 1e -- 1st edition AD&D
5. 2e -- self explanatory
6. 3e -- ditto
7. 3.5

Am I missing any important rulesets, or is the order wrong on any of them?
Basic D&D came out in 1978, after the AD&D monster manual. But the 'red' Basic D&D boxed sets didn't come until 1981, I think.

Last edited:

Belbarrus

First Post
I've always know the "O" to stand for Oriental. In the 1st Edition OAD&D meant "Oriental Advanced Dungeons & Dragons". While in the 3rd Edition it means "Oriental Adventures Dungeons & Dragons".

B

Last edited:

Belbarrus said:
I've always know the "O" to stand for Oriental. In the 1st Edition OAD&D meant "Oriental Advanced Dungeons & Dragons". While in the 3rd Edition it means "Oriental Adventures Dungeons & Dragons".

B
!? :eek: !? Nope, not that I'm aware. At least not around here.

Then again, I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone talk about OAD&D. OD&D and AD&D, sure, but not OAD&D. I'm inclined to think that doesn't stand for anything; it's just a typo.

diaglo said:
you know what they say: you gotta stand for something or you are gonna fall for anything.
I don't stand for anyone either, except for the judge, I guess. It's just not worth the contempt charges if you try to make a point on principle when the bailiff says "All Rise."

Zander

Explorer
diaglo said:
you know what they say: you gotta stand for something or you are gonna fall for anything.
If anybody calls you a "nobody", tell them "nobody's perfect". :p

~~~

Seriously, I agree with Joshua Dyal on this one. I've heard OA to mean Oriental Adventures, but never OAD&D. As has already been pointed out, it goes:
OD&D (Original D&D up to and including the Basic edition)
AD&D or 1E (Advanced D&D 1st ed)
AD&D 2nd Ed or 2E (Advanced D&D 2nd ed)
D&D 3E
D&D 3.5E

Edit: Don't you hate it when you get corrected by Gary himself? LOL! :D

Last edited:

Remove ads