• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Does the Game Need Now?

delericho

Legend
I'd love to have a 250 page random encounters book.

They should do it in the form of a card deck - shuffle the deck, draw a card, and there's your encounter.

Added bonus: they can sell it as a base set plus semi-random boosters.

On second thoughts, no they shouldn't!

W

WhosDaDungeonMaster

They should do it in the form of a card deck - shuffle the deck, draw a card, and there's your encounter.

Yeah! The good ol' monster cards! I haven't thought about those in years and they were so handy back then.

I'd like more 'module' type site-based adventures I can drop into an ongoing campaign. Currently the only official ones are the conversions in Tales From the Yawning Portal, plus arguably Lost Mine of Phandelver. I'd like more stuff along the lines of In Search of the Unknown, Keep on the Borderlands, Isle of Dread & Castle Amber.

Forbidden lands is trying that approach coming out with "adventure sites" that you can drop where you like on a map

Me too! Try Riddle of the Raven Queen for the Shadowfell and The Lich Queen's Begotten for the Astal in the mean time, they're both on the DMsguild and very good.

Also, there's a little bit of something somethig hidden in DotMM but I'll say no more....

Thanks for letting me know about them. I'll have to check them out!

The only thing I still need for D&D 5e is buyable, fully updated PDF versions for all books. Then I would be 100% satisfied I guess. Without being able to search for keywords, everything just takes so much longer. And it's super annoying to read the rules AND then also take all the errata and check if anything was changed.

Don't think I need anything else.

OH WAIT! It also needs a video game that 100% follows the ruleset. Including turn-based combat.

The only thing I still need for D&D 5e is buyable, fully updated PDF versions for all books.

Yes - with a discount for those of us who have already bought the hard copies. While I’d still use the physical books during our sessions, the PDFs would be great for game prep.

Also, a Big Book of Names!

That way I don’t have to flip through Xanathar’s to find the Appendix.

Also, it would have names for every race/subrace introduced so far all in one place.

I kid! Well, mostly anyway...

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Beadle and Grimm's has one for you for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. It will only cost you $500.

I looked at Beadle and Grimm. I don't want to pay a premium for props. I don't need separate printed DM maps. Just give me 1" = 5' scale battlemaps for all important encounter locations and all the minis (can be cardboard tokens, maybe with painted minis in "premium" sets) I need to run the game.

Battlemaps and mini.

The players hand-outs can been real nice in some adventures, but most do not warrant the prices of beadle and grim. I only want high-quality handouts for items that the players are very likely or certain to get and which they will need through out the game. A treasure map or an ancient parchments with clues that pertain to the entire span of the campaign.

I think, however, VTTs are were most of the product advancement will go. But there needs to be device optimized for gaming that is portable and software that doesn't take a long time to get up and running with.

I looked at Beadle and Grimm. I don't want to pay a premium for props. I don't need separate printed DM maps. Just give me 1" = 5' scale battlemaps for all important encounter locations and all the minis (can be cardboard tokens, maybe with painted minis in "premium" sets) I need to run the game.

Battlemaps and mini.

The players hand-outs can been real nice in some adventures, but most do not warrant the prices of beadle and grim. I only want high-quality handouts for items that the players are very likely or certain to get and which they will need through out the game. A treasure map or an ancient parchments with clues that pertain to the entire span of the campaign.

I think, however, VTTs are were most of the product advancement will go. But there needs to be device optimized for gaming that is portable and software that doesn't take a long time to get up and running with.

I think the perfect balance for me would be the encounter tents, maps, some glossy paper handouts.

And maybe props and painted minis as premium options.

I feel like wotc is missing out on fully realising sales for the d&d ip. Next year our dm is going to run dragonheist and the players and i would happily buy a set of painted minis for a marked up price vs buying a bunch of boosters and hoping for the best. Likewise if there was a good option for packages maps, images of places and enemies and handouts that we could give him to hand over to us during the course of the campaign i think itd be a very tempting option.

Much of the core demographic of the game is changing. I feel customers are getting older as a whole, with more income to spend on their hobby. And this is a currently missed opportunity for wotc.

Hopefully the beadles product does sell well and they and other competitors start looking at lower priced options.

Remove ads