What exactly is a D&D Warlock?

A bunch of random thoughts...

I actually think pactuante sounds pretty cool, assuming it's pronounced similar to how it would be in Spanish. As others have said, the warlock's key class power in 4e is the warlock pact, so pactuante fits the class.

Part of the warlock's fluff is that he sells his soul for power. If there's a word that means "soul-seller" or something similar, that could work.

For what it's worth, in English, warlock and witch are often treated as the masculine and feminine forms of the same word (even though they're not, really). So you could continue to use bruxo for warlock and bruxa for witch, and that would be similar to how English treats the two words.

A cool magic-related term that is so far not used in 4e D&D: thaumaturge / thaumaturgist, meaning "a performer of miracles". That would probably more precisely describe an invoker, but it could work for any magical class in 4e.

Klaus

First Post
Although I like the word pactuante, I'd say leave warlock as-is. After all, the movie "Warlock" (starring Julian Sands) kept its original name in Brazil. It's not like we Brazilians are in any rush to translate samurai, ninja or katana.

For the Shade, I'd use "Úmbreo". But then again, I presonally translate the Shadowfell as "Penumbra" and the Feywild as "Feéria".

Let me try your list:

Figher = Guerreiro (works better than Lutador, even though Guerreiro is actually Warrior)
Knight = Cruzado
Slayer = Matador (as you said, good enough)
Rogue = Desgarrado (and Scoundrel = Trapaceiro)
Thief = Ladrão
Cleric = Clérigo
Warpriest = Sacerdote bélico
Wizard = Mágico (and Arcanist = Arcanista)
Mage = Mago

Druid = Druida
Sentinel = Sentinela
Ranger = Ranger or Patrulheiro (I keep being reminded of Hank from the D&D cartoon being called "Guarda")
Hunter = Caçador
Scout = Batedor
Paladin = Paladino
Cavalier = Cavaleiro (I switched this with Knight because the Cavalier can actually get a mount)
Warlock = Warlock
Hexblade = Hexpadachim? Lâmina-Hex? (I like keeping the word "Hex", but then again, I'm a Jonah Hex fan)

RACES
Dwarf = Anão
Dragonborn = Draconato (excelente translation by Devir)
Drow = Drow
Eladrin = Eladrin
Elf = Elfo
Halfling = Halfling
Human = Humano
Half-Elf = Meio-Elfo
Half-Orc = Meio-Orc
Tiefling = Tiefling

Revenant = Revenante
Shade = Úmbreo
Vryloka = Vryloka
Hamadryad = Hamadríade
Pixie = Pixie
Satyr = Sátiro

Assassin = Assassino
Executioner = Executor
Blackguard = Algoz
Vampire = Vampiro
Binder = Amarrador (nice one!)
Barbarian = Bárbaro
Berserker = Berserker
Bard = Bardo
Skald = Skald (we don't translate "viking", so "skald" stays)
Protector = Protetor
Witch = Bruxa

If you find a better word for Blackguard, you can move Algoz to Slayer, since it also fits.

mudlock

First Post
According to Wiktionary, warlock is from the Old English for "promise" and "lie", AKA, a pact-breaker (while witch seems to come from the O.E. for "to divine" or "to choose"). So I also like pactuante (even though Wiktionary suggest bruxo/bruxa as the only translations for both.)

warlock - Wiktionary
witch - Wiktionary

zhouluyi

First Post
Here are my considerations:
For the Shade, I'd use "Úmbreo". But then again, I presonally translate the Shadowfell as "Penumbra" and the Feywild as "Feéria".
BTW, I translated the reigns as Selvagem Feérico, Desolado Sombrio, Escuro Profundo.

Figher = Guerreiro (works better than Lutador, even though Guerreiro is actually Warrior)
Knight = Cruzado
Rogue = Desgarrado (and Scoundrel = Trapaceiro)
Warpriest = Sacerdote bélico
Ranger = Ranger or Patrulheiro (I keep being reminded of Hank from the D&D cartoon being called "Guarda")
Cavalier = Cavaleiro (I switched this with Knight because the Cavalier can actually get a mount)
Warlock = Warlock
Hexblade = Hexpadachim? Lâmina-Hex? (I like keeping the word "Hex", but then again, I'm a Jonah Hex fan)
I think 'guerreiro' brings to much of a war-like feeling, and not all fighters go to war, a fighter like a slayer is a perfect example. It is kind of a mercenary, it might go to a guerrilla, but not a war. Also, not every 'guerreiro' is a fighter, a mage can go to war (Gandalf anyone?), even a (war)priest goes to war, or a paladin, etc. 'Lutador' brings the idea of someone who fights directly with its hands and weapons.

Rogue as 'desgarrado' is the correct translation, but in the D&D world, rogue is a cunning lone worker with lots of skills (the Thief begins the game with at least 6 of them). In that sense 'Ladino' is also a perfect match as it tells us just that.

About the warpriest, both means the same thing, but when I heard 'bélico' I think of priest with a plate armor walking like a war tank with a sword twice its size on its back, a bit to much...

Ranger is a damn word with no good translation, but i'm used to patrulheiro, if you add to equation that we have Warden in D&D that is a 'Guardião' das florestas.

The Cavalier/Knight debacle. The Cavalier was an specific order of knights (and it wasn't even a holy order), but in the D&D world a Cavalier is someone who goes in some sort of holy cruzade. Now the knight, is the old knight in shinning armor (it has plate in the start of the game), and althought no horse is directly involved, 'Cavaleiro' is the word to use here. I thought about using the world 'Soldado' to mean someone with military training, but 'Cavaleiro' is more correct. In the end both are very similar, but since the Cavalier have vows and holy atmosphere, I think 'Cruzado' is more fitting.

Warlock, I came this far, what is one extra word?

Hexblade, hex would mean to us 'praga' ou 'bruxedo', a hexer is 'rogador de pragas, praguejador, praguento'. I think hex in hexblade means the Hexer, not the hex so I used 'praguejador', blade simply means 'lâmina', but in that sense, 'cortante' ou 'afiado' is more fitting, also 'afiado' means someone with cunning or malice.

Revenant = Revenante
Shade = Úmbreo
Pixie = Pixie
Skald = Skald (we don't translate "viking", so "skald" stays)
Revenant is french, I really would like to give it a portuguese word to it.

Shade means in the shadow or covered in shadows, 'tenebroso' means in the darkness or covered in darkness, almost a perfect match, and 'tenebroso' also carry that grim aspect to the word.

Pixie is a very hard one, I thinking about using 'Fadinha' (little fairy), or maybe 'Fadinha Travessa' (mischievous little fairy). The translation is a bit juvenile, but I can't see a Pixie being used in a game that doesn't have a childlike or comic aspect to it. Actually, I still don't know if a Fairy in D&D is human-sized or small like a pixie. Anyway, did you all know that Fey is a corruption of Fay (from fairy), also, I think I can safely assume that all Fairy references in D&D books can be replaced with Fey ('feérico') as an adjective and work just nicely, this way I can even call Pixie 'Fada'. Do you know of any creature that is specifically refered to as a Fairy (not as "family of creatures" fairy)?

Skald have a direct translation to portuguese, why not use it? Berserker doesn't have one, so I have to stick with the original.

Also, I don't think 'algoz' fits the Slayer, it is vicious and vile, a Slayer is just devastating (btw: I thought about using Devastador, but Matador still won).

Keep up with the feedback, it is helping a lot. I'm begin to translate lots of materials form the Essentials line since it began, I just love to research words and translations. I've spend days in a single word.

PS: I still think about translating halflings to 'pequeninos' (this word that was used in LotRS). If I did that, the only one left would be Tiefling, do Tiefling derive from anything like halfling from half-people.

Last edited:

BuzzardB

First Post
For what it's worth, in English, warlock and witch are often treated as the masculine and feminine forms of the same word (even though they're not, really). So you could continue to use bruxo for warlock and bruxa for witch, and that would be similar to how English treats the two words.

I was going to suggest this. Also a quick wikipedia shows warlock can also mean "traitor", "oathbreaker" or "deceiver" If you wanna use another word for him.

Also a lot of those names sound way cooler in portuguese :cool:

Klaus

First Post
Regarding "skald", "escaldo" to me is to dip something in hot water ("escaldante"). The Portuguese also translate "viking" as "viquingue", but that doesn't mean I'll use it. :)

The thing with Shade as "tenebroso" is that "tenebroso" is something scary and spooky, which is true in the case of some shades. Shade is literally "sombra", btw.

I prefer "Guerreiro" instead of "Lutador" because to me "lutador" evokes the image of a martial artist. And we always say "o cara é um guerreiro!" when saying that someone keeps on fighting and never gives up, so the word is broader than just "alguém que vai à guerra".

zhouluyi

First Post
PS: I still think about translating halflings to 'pequeninos' (this word that was used in LotRS). If I did that, the only one left would be Tiefling, do Tiefling derive from anything like halfling from half-people.
Just found this on wikipedia:
The name "Tiefling" was coined by Wolfgang Baur, when original Planescape designer David "Zeb" Cook asked for a Germanic-sounding word for humans with fiendish blood. Baur derived the name from Teufel, or "Devil" in German.
Now, the -ing is commonly add to words to make derivative nouns from other words. In this case is someone who made pacts with devils and became half-devils. Now I have a few options:

Tieflo: using the original prefix and adding the portuguese -o suffix (with the same effect of the -ing in english).
Diabolizado: literally turned into devil
Diabolista: devil worshiper/servant

About the revenant, I just thought of the word 'ressurgido' someone that was reappeared, ressurected, relived or reborn. I could also use 'revivido' (one that is alive again), but I think that since the revenant is not particulary alive (at least not as he was before), saying the he resurges from the dead makes more sense.

So far I think Diabolizado is quite nice. Adding the 'Pequenino' as the Halfling I now have all races with proper translations (with the exception of Eladrin, Drow and Vryloka, which aren't derivative of anything).

Last edited:

mudlock

First Post
Adding the 'Pequenino' as the Halfling I now have all races with proper translations (with the exception of Eladrin, Drow and Vryloka, which aren't derivative of anything).

The word "drow" is derived from "trow"; a small, troll-like, Shetland islands fairy creature. Although Gygax didn't take much of the _meaning_ of the word when he decided to use it for his dark elves, so that's not much help.

What about directly translating "dark elf" or "black elf"? Would that sound better than "drow"?

Klaus

First Post
Just found this on wikipedia:
The name "Tiefling" was coined by Wolfgang Baur, when original Planescape designer David "Zeb" Cook asked for a Germanic-sounding word for humans with fiendish blood. Baur derived the name from Teufel, or "Devil" in German.
Now, the -ing is commonly add to words to make derivative nouns from other words. In this case is someone who made pacts with devils and became half-devils. Now I have a few options:

Tieflo: using the original prefix and adding the portuguese -o suffix (with the same effect of the -ing in english).
Diabolizado: literally turned into devil
Diabolista: devil worshiper/servant

About the revenant, I just thought of the word 'ressurgido' someone that was reappeared, ressurected, relived or reborn. I could also use 'revivido' (one that is alive again), but I think that since the revenant is not particulary alive (at least not as he was before), saying the he resurges from the dead makes more sense.

So far I think Diabolizado is quite nice. Adding the 'Pequenino' as the Halfling I now have all races with proper translations (with the exception of Eladrin, Drow and Vryloka, which aren't derivative of anything).
Encapetado? :)

Ryujin

Legend
The word "drow" is derived from "trow"; a small, troll-like, Shetland islands fairy creature. Although Gygax didn't take much of the _meaning_ of the word when he decided to use it for his dark elves, so that's not much help.

What about directly translating "dark elf" or "black elf"? Would that sound better than "drow"?

Perhaps something could be made of the old Scots divisions of The Fey; The Seely Court and the Useely Court (good fey and evil fey, though both were capricious).

Classifications of fairies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remove ads