What feats are "missing"?

Kalshane

First Post
This is nice: it's a get I'd want to take for a rogue, and with one feat it gives a whole different build/playstyle -- nice. Awesome for a rogue half-orc, and with a 1-level dip in fighter.

1. I'd say the STR bonus isn't needed, though I'm going to suggest two limits below, so in the end it might be needed. But I still think no.

2. Really good. I'd suggest limiting it to a one-handed weapon (to avoid GWF cheese); possibly one-handed or "versatile".

3. Fun. I'd specify that the intimidation attack takes the bonus action. I think the standard wording is something like "...until the end of your next turn."

Part of my reason for wanting to allow great weapons is selfish, as I had a Spring Attacking Fighter/Rogue in 3rd Ed who used a holy great sword. :p But thinking it over, with the way the great weapon style and Great Weapon Master feats work, it would probably be too much to stack Sneak Attack on top.

The intimidation check is supposed to use the bonus action, though I could make it a little clearer in the text. Okay, re-worked a bit:

Thug
  • You gain +1 to Strength, to a maximum of 20.
  • You may perform a sneak attack with any one-handed or versatile weapon in which you are proficient, provided you meet the other requirements.
  • Whenever you hit an opponent with a sneak attack or critical hit that deals damage, you can use your Bonus Action to make a Charisma (Intimidation) check against that opponent. If successful, the opponent has disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the end of your next turn.

I like keeping the Strength bonus in there to make it still somewhat attractive for non-rogues. I could see some fighter or barbarian types who don't care about sneak attack possibly picking it up for the intimidation effect.

My other thought would be to drop the Strength bonus, but allow the Intimidation check to use the player's choice of either Charisma or Strength.

Khaalis

Adventurer
[MENTION=9505]Kalshane[/MENTION]
1) Keep the STR bonus. The feat is a tad weak without it IMHO.
2) I think versatile might be too much?
That adds: Quarterstaff (d8), Spear (d8), Battleaxe (d10), Longsword (d10), Trident (d8) and Warhammer (d10) to the allowed Sneak Attack weapons.

Fion

Explorer
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Fion
Here's my attempt at a spear & shield feat.

Hoplite
Prerequisite: Proficiency with Simple Weapons & Shields
The premier soldiers of the ancient worlds, Hoplites trained since childhood to fight with shield and spear.

• Increase your Armor Class by +1.
  • When wielding a spear in combination with a shield, the spear deals 1d8 damage.
  • Gain the ability to use the Phalanx combat action.

Phalanx Combat Action
When you take the Phalanx combat action, until the start of your next turn when a creature you can see attacks an ally within 5' of you, you can spend your reaction to grant Advantage to to that allies next attack against the attacking creature. You must complete a Short or Long rest before you can use this Combat Action again.

As you can see, inspired by the most badass warriors of the ancient age, with the combat action based largely off the Fighter style. It's a bit rough around the edges but a first stab at a much needed feet for my favorite weapon.

Does it work better as a feat (that some tables are banning) or would it work better as an Archetype?

Archetypes generally do not focus on a specific weapon or combination there of. It could certainly work as an archetype but be a rather limiting one.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
That adds: Quarterstaff (d8), Spear (d8), Battleaxe (d10), Longsword (d10), Trident (d8) and Warhammer (d10) to the allowed Sneak Attack weapons.

These comments seem to be at odds with each other: "a tad weak" (1) and "too much" (2) at th esame time?

"A tad weak" is actually good -- that probably means its balanced, and avoids power creep. As I say I would still build characters specifically in order to take advantage of this feat at level 4.

As for weapons: Rogues will be proficient with the d8 options and the longsword. B-Axe war hammer and trident are not proficient, but would be for a fighter m-class, or is a dwarf (b-axe and war hammer).

Kalshane

First Post

Rogues can already get a d8 sneak attack weapon with a rapier, and still have a hand free, so the staff, spear and trident don't really worry me. The difference between 1d8 and 1d10 is 1 point of damage on average, and the only one rogues are proficient in by default is longsword. There might be some hideous synergy with great weapon abilities I'm missing (entirely possible) but for most rogues I don't see it as a big deal.

Along a similar vein, some 2nd Edition flashback action:

Bladesong
You've trained in the graceful sword-fighting arts favored by elven fighter-mages.
  • You gain +1 to Dexterity or Intelligence.
  • You may treat a longsword as a finesse weapon.
  • When wielding a longsword in one hand and nothing in the other you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

No restriction to elves, as I don't want to resurrect the "elves are just better than everyone" problems of 2nd Ed, but I like the idea of them to be able to use one of their signature weapons with the attribute they have a bonus in. And since you've already got a 1d8 finesse weapon in the rapier, I don't see it as over-powered (though I don't know how many monsters have resistance against piercing damage but not slashing, or vice versa.)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Along a similar vein, some 2nd Edition flashback action:

Bladesong
You've trained in the graceful sword-fighting arts favored by elven fighter-mages.
  • When wielding a longsword in one hand and nothing in the other you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

I like this -- balanced, and well thought-out; right for some builds. Most flavourful is the third ability; it never eclipses a shield, but gives the AC bonus that would make one take one. Rather than "nothing" I'd suggest "no weapon or shield" (or something; so that they can use a lantern or a cloak if they want, to allow certain historical combat styles that did exist historically and are never modelled.

Cool.

Kalshane

First Post
I like this -- balanced, and well thought-out; right for some builds. Most flavourful is the third ability; it never eclipses a shield, but gives the AC bonus that would make one take one. Rather than "nothing" I'd suggest "no weapon or shield" (or something; so that they can use a lantern or a cloak if they want, to allow certain historical combat styles that did exist historically and are never modelled.

Cool.

Thanks.

Yeah, by "nothing" I meant no weapons or shields (or two-handing the longsword) not that your hand has to be empty. But clarity is always better.

Bladesong
  • When wielding a longsword in one hand and no weapons or shields in the other you gain a +1 bonus to AC.

Fion

Explorer
Lovely feat, I'll be adding it to my list. :)

After a bit more thought, let me see if I can improved my Hoplite feat, perhaps inspired by the 3.5e version.

Hoplite
Prerequisites: Proficiency with Simple Weapons & Shields
You have trained to fight in close formation with allies or in an army using a spear & shield technique called a Phalanx.
  • Your Strength score is increased by 1, to a maximum of 20.
  • When wielding a shield & spear in tandem, the spear looses its thrown property and becomes a d8 weapon.
  • When you are within 5' of an ally wielding a shield and one-handed weapon you may form a Shield Wall that grants +1 AC and a +1 bonus to dexterity saving throws to both parties.
  • You may perform the Phalanx combat action

Phalanx Combat Action
When you take the Phalanx combat action, until the start of your next turn when a creature you can see attacks an ally forming a shield wall with you, that ally gains Advantage on their next attack against the attacking creature.

There, I think that's an improvement. It's more situational now but more flavorful as well. Not sure about the strength bonus though, as it's fairly powerful if your group has a fair number of melee shield users. I can see the group sword & board fighter & pally picking this feat up though. To explain the dex save bonus, I've always liked the idea of the front-line warrior blocking the dragon's breath with his shield. It's classic fantasy art but there is no mechanic for it in 5e (that I've found at least).

Last edited:

jadrax

Adventurer
There were feats in the playtest that I wish had stayed in the game. One in particular that I miss was a feat called Arcane Archer that basically replicated the Arcane Archer prestige class. I thought it was a great way to do prestige classes and a really fun feat. I don't know why it was left out of the final version.

The thinking on this was answered on twitter recently.

Scott Thomas @Skippy_E
@mikemearls Hey "Double M" I want to play an arcane archer. You scrapped the feat from the playtest. Any suggestions?
No WiFi Mearls @mikemearls
@Skippy_E eldritch knight captures the basics - its abilities apply to any weapon attack, so it includes ranged ones
5:39 PM - 3 Oct 2014

Remove ads