What feats are "missing"?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Would it be broken to make a feat that lets me use the sheath of my sword as a shield...?

You shouldn't need a feat for it. It's a shame that they lost "buckler" along the way, because I think ANYTHING reasonable should be able to be used as a +1 shield: scabbard, dagger, lantern, cloak. There's something in your hand, you're using it for defence. Done.

Realistically, as long as you pay 10 gp and carry 6 lbs, you should be able to "skin" a shield as anything you want (unless your DM says no, I guess.) the difference is entirely cosmetic; therefore, no need for a feat.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
You shouldn't need a feat for it. It's a shame that they lost "buckler" along the way, because I think ANYTHING reasonable should be able to be used as a +1 shield: scabbard, dagger, lantern, cloak. There's something in your hand, you're using it for defence. Done.

Realistically, as long as you pay 10 gp and carry 6 lbs, you should be able to "skin" a shield as anything you want (unless your DM says no, I guess.) the difference is entirely cosmetic; therefore, no need for a feat.

Hm. Good point. Hopefully the DM will allow it...for once, I'm not the bloody DM...

Fion

Explorer
I have a buckler in my list of custom arms & armor.

Buckler cost: 5 gp +1 AC finesse, light
Can be used alongside a 2-handed weapon such as a longbow or greatsword, deals 1d4 bludgeoning damage if used as an offhand weapon.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
That's pretty powerful, too much so for my blood: why would any archer or great weapon fighter or dual wielder not use one?

I'd suggest scaling back:

Buckler, +1 AC, requires proficiency in all simple weapons (but not proficiency in shields)

That should be enough to make them regular features of games, but not ubiquitous.

Fion

Explorer
Your probably right Stew, I had light damage/wield with a 2h weapon to bring it in line historically. But balance > historic accuracy. I think I'll keep the 1d4 bludgeoning though, I like the idea of a gladiator-style offhand buckler used to block and bash foes.

Last edited:

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Your probably right Stew, I had light damage/wield with a 2h weapon to bring it in line historically. But balance > historic accuracy. I think I'll keep the 1d4 bludgeoning though, I like the idea of a gladiator-style offhand buckler used to block and bash foes.

My problem was that I, as a player, hate the imagery of using a shield, but I have to play a tank, so having the AC would be nice.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Why do you "have" to be a tank?

Unfortunately, everyone else is super squishy...we have a bard, a rogue and a ranger (both ranged), and a warlock. The warlock is pact of the blade, but she has a -1 CON modifier. DM had us roll rather than point-buy, and not everyone did very well. I got a bit lucky in my stats, but everyone else had a hard time getting anything good.

Remove ads