What Films Is This?

Daniel Knight

First Post
Ankh-Morpork Guard said:
Bah! ;)

Hm....what other holes can I pick? Oh yeah! Luke wasn't restrained! He was just yelled at and snapped back into reality. :cool:

Bugger! I just fast forwarded to that scene, and you're right. For some reason I thought the Princess was reaching out and grabbing Luke, but she's actually reaching for Han. Oh, well.

Well done for spotting that - original post has been edited to correct error.

Any more errors?

Berandor

lunatic
So... Lucas stole from Tolkien and in turn was robbed by Jackson?

Or does it mean that some stories resemble each other and differ mostly in details, where these details control the exact quality; furthermore, black armor is menacing, Hammer actors make good villains (they can ham it up) and knighted actors make good mentors?

Beranmdor

kengar

First Post
Berandor said:
So... Lucas stole from Tolkien and in turn was robbed by Jackson?

Or does it mean that some stories resemble each other and differ mostly in details, where these details control the exact quality; furthermore, black armor is menacing, Hammer actors make good villains (they can ham it up) and knighted actors make good mentors?

Beranmdor

Read some Joseph Campbell and then decide. :)

gregweller

First Post
kengar said:
Read some Joseph Campbell and then decide. :)

And Campbell actually lived at Skywalker Ranch for a time towards the end of his life. And, of course, if you want to understand 'The Matrix', you should read Campbell, too.

Rackhir

Explorer
This is a VERY trick question.

First off Sauron's armor was silvery not black. It had reflections on it after all. Also during the story and not the back story, he isn't a man in armor, he's a blazing eye.

Bilbo was hardly seduced by evil as well. More damaged a bit. He was just getting posessive about the ring, not going out there and helping to slaughter his friends and allies.

While Hobbits may mostly live an agricultural lifestyle, Bilbo and Frodo do not. They live off Bilbo's share of the dragon's horde and are in fact among the elite of hobbit society, not subsistance level farmers.

Saying that the princess "joins" them is stretching things considerably. She basically just grabbed Frodo and ran for Rivendale and has had no contact with our heroes since. Even if she is going to show up in the third movie for some undetermined period. Furthermore, it was hardly "discovered" that she was in love with one of them. That was made very clear shortly after she showed up.

Yes there are certain broad similarities between the movies, but that can be done with many movies. There are after all only so many ways to tell a story and so many basic plots. Some broadway playwrite is famously supposed to have driven himself nearly insane trying to come up with a romance plot that couldn't be summed up as "Boy meets Girl. Boy looses Girl. Boy gets Girl back".

That said you did have me until about the "Water Creature" and those are some interesting parallels between the movies.

Arthur Tealeaf

First Post
Yay! I did it! I figured it out! It's Star Wars and LotR: FotR!

And you people, stop complaining goddammit, this was great, it made me feel smart!

Remove ads