• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What gaming habit of yours has annoyed other players?

As a DM, I know some players have gotten annoyed that I do theater of the mind, not battlegrid, combat. I've known a player or two that got unhappy with their character’s death, but that goes without saying.

As a player, my brother still brings up that time I made a character with a rather shouty voice when he was sitting next to me.

Warpiglet

Adventurer
I am pretty damn nice to people. I tell them at times their choices or actions are cool. I think I am a really good co-player. I high five the successes of others. My over organization or having too many items at hand may be annoying...lots of dice and gadgets, dice trays etc.

As DM sometimes I fumble for rules that we don't use enough instead of just making a call. My use of minis is appreciated to a point when at the helm but I might get too concerned with setting up terrain and slow things down.

Sadras

Legend
As a DM, I know some players have gotten annoyed that I do theater of the mind, not battlegrid, combat. I've known a player or two that got unhappy with their character’s death, but that goes without saying.

I cannot stress the ToM (DM) vs Battlegrid (PCs) debate. We constantly joke about this session-in session-out at our table.
I only prepare for battlegrid when I feel it is appropriate for the combat.

As a player, my brother still brings up that time I made a character with a rather shouty voice when he was sitting next to me.

I'm so stealing this. :)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I used to bitch at players who were no-call no-show.

As player or DM I would consider this an asset. It might annoy the no-call, no-show player, but sometimes it is appropriate to make people uncomfortable if their behavior is impacting others negatively.

pogre

Legend
I tend to push the action and adventure forward. Sometimes everyone at the table is chatting out of play/campaign and probably enjoying the conversation and I try to push focus back to the game. Usually a good thing when I am DMing, probably annoying when I am a player.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
Finally, the DM says "just move your mini when you count out the squares!" I was counting the squares and then moving the mini. This extra unnecessary step was bothering the DM. Again, no big deal. It makes sense and I adjusted immediately.
This bugs me a little bit too, but not enough to ask players to stop.

Also, when I first started playing 5E, I found it really odd that players counted movement in 5' segments. They would move their mini from square to square counting 5', 10', 15'... etc. whereas I just count squares (30' of movement = 6 squares). I think my way is how it was taught in 3.5E, so I probably picked it up there.

Shiroiken

Legend
Interesting topic. I know that I used to annoy players when I played religious classes (cleric/druid/paladin), because I would often proselytize the players and NPCs. My current group has had less issue with that, as my druid had several interesting debates with a cleric in a Thule campaign about the value of thousands of lesser gods (forest/nature spirits) vs. a handful of powerful ones (the 12 or so standard deities).

I considered asking my group... but honestly, I'm afraid to hear the answer :blush:

Remove ads