D&D General What got you to try D&D?

pukunui

Legend
Some friends/classmates started playing in 7th grade and invited me to join them. I'm not sure how long they'd been playing before I joined, but I quickly ended up being the primary DM, even though I had no idea what I was doing.

Perun

Mushroom
A series of short articles in a youth magazine in the early 90s was when I found out about the game, but I couldn't find the books or a group. A year or two later I found out a then-aquaintance-now-friend played. We managed to find a group of interested people, and as we cast a wide net, it lead to a hillarious situation where we believed that two unrelated groups were starting a D&D game at the same time :LOL: We played until 4e came out, basically...

Then I moved countries, and an accidental facebook post by a colleague/friend revealed that he was a D&D fan, who managed, quite by accident, to meet other D&D fans on a rafting trip just days before... I managed to miss the first session, but joined afterwards. And then COVID happened, and some people moved away to different countries and/or continents...

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
But you did promote the great first two parts of the Sorcery! trilogy, which I failed to do. An extremely hard mini-campaign to complete, but man, is it atmospheric. (The modern day digital adaptation from Inkle is worth checking out, if you haven't.)
Yes, Sorcery! was great. I made the effort to actually learn by heart the spell names, as the rules techically required.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is heresy on this side of the Atlantic, but I honestly think the first six Fighting Fantasy books (minus the terrible Spaceship Traveller, which is basically a terrible Choose Your Own Adventure book with a bit of dice rolling) are a better intro to RPGs than anything since.

(Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Citadel of Chaos, Forest of Doom, City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon, for the uninitiated.)

These and Lone Wolf books for me. Lone Wolf was similar to Fighting Fantasy but metaphot and you leveled up and carried your stuff forward.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Thise and Line Wolf books for me. Lone Wolf was similar to Fighting Fantasy but metaphot and you leveled up and carried your stuff forward.
Lone Wolf came out in Italy more or less at the same time as when the Red Box was translated. It was such a huge hit that I received the fist book as a Christmas gift from two different persons!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
These and Lone Wolf books for me. Lone Wolf was similar to Fighting Fantasy but metaphot and you leveled up and carried your stuff forward.
I remember having some books similar to lone wolf where things carried over, but you were a ninja. It was pretty cool.

There were also a series (maybe only 4 or so books) that I believe were set on the lone wolf world but you played as a wizard.

Remove ads