D&D General What got you to try D&D?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Heroquest the board game and Final Fantasy the video game.
We were playing Dungeon! before we ever played D&D, come to think of it. In the dark days before multiplayer CRPGs, my brother and I would play "clean out" and spend an entire afternoon clearing every single room on the map and see who had the biggest haul of treasure at the end.

I've since played both the classic and modern versions of the game with my kids, who all greatly enjoyed it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I discovered the Fighting Fantasy game books at my local library. One day in that section I found Elmore’s dragon staring at me from the Mentzer red box and I was sold before I knew what I was looking at.
This is heresy on this side of the Atlantic, but I honestly think the first six Fighting Fantasy books (minus the terrible Spaceship Traveller, which is basically a terrible Choose Your Own Adventure book with a bit of dice rolling) are a better intro to RPGs than anything since.

(Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Citadel of Chaos, Forest of Doom, City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon, for the uninitiated.)

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
This is heresy on this side of the Atlantic, but I honestly think the first six Fighting Fantasy books (minus the terrible Spaceship Traveller, which is basically a terrible Choose Your Own Adventure book with a bit of dice rolling) is a better intro to RPGs than anything since.

(Warlock of Firetop Mountain, Citadel of Chaos, Forest of Doom, City of Thieves and Deathtrap Dungeon, for the uninitiated.)
I count five. :)

I only had Khare City of Traps, the Seven Serpents, and the Spell Book as a kid.

They are fantastic.

And only later as an adult did I find out the two big Steve Jackson RPG authors (Fighting Fantasy and GURPS) were different people.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I count five. :)
Six minus one is five, yes. :)
I only had Khare City of Traps, the Seven Serpents, and the Spell Book as a kid.
Super-immersive, too. When you're a kid, you can't typically hope for a DM as good as Jackson and Livingstone, especially combined with British RPG artists at their peak.
And only later as an adult did I find out the two big Steve Jackson RPG authors (Fighting Fantasy and GURPS) were different people.
They actually crossed over once or twice, presumably for laughs and to confuse librarians and historians in the future.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Upon re-reading, my mistake. :)
But you did promote the great first two parts of the Sorcery! trilogy, which I failed to do. An extremely hard mini-campaign to complete, but man, is it atmospheric. (The modern day digital adaptation from Inkle is worth checking out, if you haven't.)

View attachment 291359

This cover. I really, really loved monsters and mythology as a kid. I saw it in a Barnes and Noble at 7-8 yrs old and begged my dad to buy it for me. The rest is history.
This book was what got me interested in D&D decades ago.... ;) But it wasn't until I was in college that I actually got a chance to roll up a character and role-play in 2e D&D. After college, I mostly collected 3e and PF1 books. I didn't get back into role-playing D&D until a friend of mine invited me and another friend into his RPG group two years ago.

ECMO3

Hero
My friend’s older brother and his friends played, but they wouldn’t let us play with them. But it got me curious enough that years later when I met someone else who played, I was eager to try and see what it was like.

This is exactly how I got started - my friend Erin's older brother and his friends would play and we would watch. I was 10 I think at the time, he wathced a lot more than I did since they were at his house a lot.

After watching them one time I told my friend Erin I wish we could play and he said; "we can I know how to play, I'll be the Dungeon Master". So we started our first game with me, my brother as players and my friend Erin as DM, playing red box and KOTB in the back of our station wagon on the way to the beach.

Well it turns out that Erin had no idea at all how to play and had not read any of the books or the adventure (but he did use the map) and he was good at fooling us with big words like "Elf", "Orc" and "hit points". I still remember the adventure, we made characters, went around the keep shopping and getting outfitted then ran across some orcs (not in the actual adventure). Killed the Orcs using some combat rules he apparently up on the fly, then 3 more came in through a "secret passage" and they kept coming until they killed us.

After that session, which ended in a TPK, I started reading the books since he left them at my house. Then I realized Erin really had no idea what he was doing. I did the next adventure as DM and the rest is history.

Last edited:

Remove ads