D&D 5E What happened to the Hermaphrodites???

Askaval30

Explorer
OP here... and whoa look at the posts! My group will really enjoy reading through all the responses to what we thought was a relatively innocuous question.

A big thank you to all of you for your collected wisdom, wordsmithing and the occasional acrimony! We had always used the term strictly in the biological sense of one organism with two or more genders... I guess it just made sense for gods and aberrations. We hadn't considered the ethical implications of the word or its use. Fascinating stuff that is good to know, so thank you all for expanding our minds!

:D

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Be wary, as this is what Merriam-Webster has to say on that particular issue.

"Dictionaries are often treated as the final arbiter in arguments over a word’s meaning, but they are not always well suited for settling disputes. The lexicographer’s role is to explain how words are (or have been) actually used, not how some may feel that they should be used, and they say nothing about the intrinsic nature of the thing named by a word, much less the significance it may have for individuals. ...t is prudent to recognize that quoting from a dictionary is unlikely to either mollify or persuade the person with whom one is arguing."

If somebody starts an "I'm offended" argument with me and heads into Cheshire Cat (from Alice of Wonderland) territory - "Words mean what I want them to mean" - then I'm going to tell him to buzz off. Politely. Because the problem is owned 100% by him and he needs to figure out how to deal with it; nobody else is going to be able to help, or mollify him.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
My group will really enjoy reading through all the responses to what we thought was a relatively innocuous question.
You should have a roll of duct tape available, just in case. Somebody's head might try to explode. :confused:

Glad to be of help.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
OP here... and whoa look at the posts! My group will really enjoy reading through all the responses to what we thought was a relatively innocuous question.

A big thank you to all of you for your collected wisdom, wordsmithing and the occasional acrimony! We had always used the term strictly in the biological sense of one organism with two or more genders... I guess it just made sense for gods and aberrations. We hadn't considered the ethical implications of the word or its use. Fascinating stuff that is good to know, so thank you all for expanding our minds!

:D

Just a note that intersex refers to sex.

Gender is a social construct and doesn't have to do with sex organs or other biological markers (such as but not limited to hormones).

Ganymede81

First Post
If somebody starts an "I'm offended" argument with me and heads into Cheshire Cat (from Alice of Wonderland) territory - "Words mean what I want them to mean" - then I'm going to tell him to buzz off. Politely. Because the problem is owned 100% by him and he needs to figure out how to deal with it; nobody else is going to be able to help, or mollify him.

Dude, then go write Merriam-Webster a strongly worded letter.

I can't help you here, and I'm pretty sure this thread is done.

Remove ads