What happened?

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC1: Yup, Webs work on floating creatures too--spiders initially made 'em to catch flies after all)

(OOC2: Hmm...I didn't realise we were 2 increments out; could Siobhan have taken a single move action to be one range increment out? If so, she did that after the Web and then slung (it will hit if the Gauth normally has AC 20 since it takes -4 Dex from the Web). If she can't get within one range increment in a single move, she will still take a single move last round anyway to help for next time (That will hit an AC 18).

So she will also add an Action Point here for +5 to hit!

That hits the Gauth if it's AC is 23 (assuming she can't move into the next range increment with a single move) or 25 (if she can). If that somehow misses, we are totally screwed :uhoh: So I'm hoping that means 16 Damage)

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Bront, Stulgar lacks pounce, so he won't get his three attacks per round until next round.

Manz--preemptive reminder, don't forget the +1 to saves against aberrations like I always do on these things :eek:)

Moggthegob

First Post
(wait where is attack number two coming from(shifting?)...he charged in the first round which I have already taken into account, which means for round two he could do what he just did, provided he makes his DC 14 save not to be stunned by the center eye)

RA, I treated this first round as a surprise round, I would normally allow you to move up like you did but, there is a chance that you would have tipped the beholder off and denied Stulgar the benefit of surprise to start off the battle, despite the fact that, his charging tipped off the Gauth any way and that it has all-around vision and knew you were coming thanks to Stulgar and was simply waiting. However, I will allow that as stulgar charged you could probably get a moved action to get within only one range increment instead of two,thus causing you to hit for 16 damage, I had assumed that since all three of you (seat,lily, and yourself0 had readied actions and thus they all went off at once, i.e your attack occurred before the web took effect. However, the action point more than makes up for it and the point is now moot.)

The gauth will have another turn before your actions happen assuming none of you can beat 24 on initiative. But I am almost certain with all of the dex in this place that its possible for one of you to go first.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Ah, cool on last round then.

But why would the Gauth get two consecutive turns? You're correct about the people who delayed/readied, which should mean that their init count was set to go the same time next round as before the Gauth went on this first round (in other words, the way initiative works in 3.x is that if you go before someone in one round, you always go before them in all future rounds unless you take another action to change initiative again). Think of it like a stack of index cards saying whose turn it is, and when the turn passes, you put the card at the bottom of the stack.

The Gauth couldn't know to act until Stulgar charged and everyone moved in, right? If that's the case, then the Gauth must have delayed to be after Stulgar if it acted on surprise and its init was too high, or it must have simply acted first on round 2 if it had no way to act in round 1

Basically, in summary--the only way to get two consecutive turns in 3.5 is if your enemy is surprised, you act alone on the surprise round because all the enemies are surprised, and your init was very high; you don't reroll init after the surprise round, instead you use the init you already rolled on the surprise round.)

Last edited:

Manzanita

First Post
OOC: Raven's save, w/action point: 7+5=12, +1 (from action point) =13. OK. Not only is she paralyzed, but she's lost an action point. She hasn't been very effective in this aberation cave....wait! I get a +1 on saves vs aberations (thanks, RA!), thus she's OK! In any case, she's now used 2 action points...

IC: Raven slows almost imperceptively, then continues her rush. She'll slash at the creature with her handaxe.

OOC: With charge, her sword attack is +7 1d6+2. Her AC is then only 16. Rolls: 15+7=22;5+2=7. 7 dmg assuming no damage bonus from the axe.

Moggthegob

First Post
OOC: the gauth is certainly not flat footed because he knew stulgar was coming and had a readied action to go off on stulgar when we started towards the gauth...to make it easiest you all had readied actions, it had a readied action, stulgar set everything off, and THEN his charge would have hit, supposing he didnt get stunned by the central eye, putting all of that on last round, though stulgar would still be stunned if he fails his save.

In which case,according to what you've told me and what I understand, the gauth would go again consecutively with everyone except stulgar, who in fact goes last. So in order to solve that little conundrum, Im still going with a call to initiative to break the tie.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Aha, cool. You are correct in everything you said except two quick things

#1--the one who was going to be stunned was actually Raven, not Stulgar. Stulgar had the much more dreadful Dispel Magic on him. That was very lucky for the Gauth that it picked the one with spells on him to Dispel Magic on ;)

EDIT: Oh, I see it also 'stared Stulgar down', which may be a seventh attack! Bront, remember you have +2 to will saves from Rage and +1 from the item

#2--the tiebreak is actually done simply by who has the higher Initiative modifier, rerolling only if they have an identical modifier. Does the Gauth have a +4 then? I think that means it beats everyone except Siobhan and her +6.

Siobhan will move forward and sling again)

Moggthegob

First Post
Ah you beat me to it. nevermind.

That is certainly acceptable. The gauth has if memory serves a +4 so then yes it would go after siobhan round two...Raven does connect taking a nice little chunk out of the thing for 7 damage(the byeshk weapons were for the kaorti and that ogre primarily) The stun attack is the gauth's central eye, a 7th attack.

As for stulgar, it saw him down a potion....

Latharion still has his first round action to roll for and then we will be in a new round.

which will be ordered

Siobhan
Gauth
Lily
Seat
Stulgar
Raven
Latharion

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
when he's able to, Seat advances dawing his new wand and, if there's a nice target in range (ooc: 30 feet) he'll use it (+3 to hit, 4d6 damage)

If all enemies are out of reach or have too much cover, he'll instead use Dark Knowledge. But suddendly realizes that, while he knows a lot about the creature, he can't give any advice about how to fight it effectively (failed Knowledge roll :/)

Remove ads