• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What happens when a character sheet is missing?

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Electronic copies are probably the best.

I remember playing with some cheaters when I was in high-school (about 10-12 years ago), and the DM ended up asking for the character sheets after every game.

If you think about it, unless the DM says that you can buy new stuff inbetween adventures, what do you need the sheet for?

Capellan

Explorer
I would:

- copy down the details from the PDF version of my computer
- or, if that had mysterioudly vanished, from the copy I keep in my yahoo Briefcase.
- or, if I had no net access, I'd phone a friend and ask him to print the copy I'm sure he has
- failing that, I'd go to work and access the 'net there :)

I have multiple failsafes. Not because I worry about losing my character sheet - just because I like to be able to access it wherever I am, without carrying it around.

Crothian

First Post
Capellan said:
I have multiple failsafes. Not because I worry about losing my character sheet - just because I like to be able to access it wherever I am, without carrying it around.

Dude, you scare me :D

Last edited:

magnas_veritas

First Post
mistergone said:
Just look in the last place that you would think to look. That's where it is.

Well, yes. ;-)

The best way to go about it, of course, is not to lose it. How? Keep it in the same place. My character sheets, for example, are in a folder on top of my d20 shelf.

Now, remembering to bring everything is sometimes hard. I occasionally forget to bring my magic item cards* with me, but those are fairly easy to remember.

Brad

* Our group puts magic items on cards, rather on the character sheet, which eliminates wear and tear on the sheet, and also allows them to be passed around easily. I have no idea how widespread this is, but I never heard of it before starting the campaign.

Ycore Rixle

First Post
Funny, this happened to the barbarian in our group today. He just moved to a new house and he unpacked everything but his character sheet. We just copied down as much as we could from memory and took it from there. The barbarian was relatively easy... the real problem will be if he can't ever find the sheets for hiz wizarrd cohort with all of her spellbooks, spells, etc.

When I play, I update my character sheet regularly and then just don't throw away my old one - I keep it somewhere - so if I lose my most current sheet, I always have one that's not too old.

Crothian

First Post
magnas_veritas said:
The best way to go about it, of course, is not to lose it. How? Keep it in the same place.

Well, we last played in January and there was thought that the Campaign was getting canned. I normally keep it in my backpack with the books I take to game but in the almost 2 months since we last played I had need of the backpack. So, it all got moved. But it was found and wasn't needed.

the Jester

Legend
Well, we can generally make do and recreate from memory. Plus, my sign-in sheets track pcs' class, level, hp and alignment. And name, of course.

Also, I often keep obsolete versions of pcs' character sheets- I have a perverse desire to run a 'back in time' game with old versions of pcs some time....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads