What have i missed about Greenbound Summoning?

Voadam

Legend
Voodoo said:
The feat Greenbound Summoning in Lost Empires of Fareun seems utterly broken and far too good to me, is there a restriction or limitation that i've missed?

The feat applies the greenbound template to any animal you summon with any Summon Natures Ally spell.

The greenbound template:-
Type becomes plant (so no crits, mind affecting, or polymorphing..)
NA improves by 6
Gains a slam attack
(Sp) at will - entangle, pass without trace, speak with plants. 1/day - wall of thorns
DR 10/magic and slashing
Fast healing 3
+4 grapple bonus
Resistance to electricity and cold 10
Tremorsense 60'
Str +6, Dex +2, Con +4, Cha+4
+16 to hide and move silently in forested areas
(CR +2, LA+8)

The feat is on page 8, the Greenbound template on page 173-175

For comparison

AUGMENT SUMMONING [GENERAL]
Prerequisite: Spell Focus (conjuration).
Benefit: Each creature you conjure with any summon spell gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength and Constitution for the duration of the spell that summoned it.

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I think the telling thing here is:

(CR +2, LA+8)

That is about right. It is a metamagic feat that allows you to increase the CR by +2. In the case of SNA, that means you SNA n spell becomes approximately as good as SNA n+2. Obviously that is not true all the time, frex when you want a Unicorn to heal your party. But in raw fighting power, yes.

I salivate at the thought of casting SNA III to bring 2-5 Greenbound Wolves, each which can lay down a Wall of Thorns, even if the WoT only lasts a few rounds. That is a astounding AoE for a low level spell.

Compare with Augment Summoning. Two feats to boost the summoned creature by roughly CR +0.5.

I think Voadam is on the right track. This would make a reasonable Epic feat. At that level the DR, energy resistances, and even the Wall of Thorns are somewhat minor boosts. It is a frighteningly powerful feat as is when you are <15th level.

two

First Post
I think it would be a great epic feat! Good idea.

Lots of flavor, and you can imagine the party going against an epic Druid with this feat -- slogging through a primordial forest, getting hit by these sorts of summons once in a while -- plus all the other nasty stuff Druids can do. Perhaps the end of the adventure would take place in the Greenbound dimension -- everything is all planty and all the plants are living (and can speak etc.) and they LOVE their druid pal. And would not like the party, naturally. "Naturally".

As a completely over-the-top build, as stated, a human Druid3 could have both augment summoning and Greenbound Summoning. If the stat bonus on Greenbound isn't listed as enhancement (rather, results from being transformed into a plant) then you have a nifty +10 to strength, +8 to constitution summons -- plus other greenbound benefits. Silly, I know.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
two said:
As a completely over-the-top build, as stated, a human Druid3 could have both augment summoning and Greenbound Summoning.

Heh--I'm thinking that the best thing to stack with this feat would be Extend Spell, or maybe even Persistent Spell.

Daniel

moritheil

First Post
Although . . . at around 3rd level, I don't expect most things to survive long enough for it to make a difference. :p

Pielorinho said:
Heh--I'm thinking that the best thing to stack with this feat would be Extend Spell, or maybe even Persistent Spell.

Daniel

moritheil

First Post
Now I'm curious. Does this mean that you have to use a higher level SNA spell to summon a Greenbound, perhaps? That would make it slightly less broken.

Voodoo said:
(CR +2, LA+8)

The feat is on page 8, the Greenbound template on page 173-175

Ero Gaki

First Post
As an alternative to making the feat epic, which would mean that most groups would never get to take it, why not take a look at the Savage Speices book and divide the benefits of the greenbound template into levels, like a class. As a character gains in level, he slowly gets more benefits out of the feat. That way, the feat could still be used, and game balance wouldn't be disrupted.

DM_Matt

First Post
Unapproachable east has a couple of similar feats that let you put templates on your summonses. Rashemi Elemental Summoning (iirc) grants, among other things, Cone of Cold 3/day at caster level = hit dice. The cleric of Wind and Water IMC quested for that one.

Remove ads