D&D 5E What I want from a more monetized D&D

Why buy WotC goblin when you can import one you found free on the web. If they want to sell microtransactions they won't be allowing imports.
They just have to TOS ban use of copyrighted materials without permission/license, and make sure that imported material has to be specifically compatible with the VTT (possibly having to be made and confirmed with the in-engine builder) so that random stuff on the internet won't be flooding the system.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
There are things I'd pay for on a regular basis. But I'm not sure what they are.

I used have subscriptions to both Dragon and Dungeon mags back when they were owned by TSR. But now the internet provides all of that type of content I could want, so it's not that.

I used to pay $10 a month for full access to 4e, including their character builders and their hardcover-of-the-month. I wouldn't do that again - it was worth it while I had it, but there are two flaws. First is that quality (and I understand profitability) went way up when content didn't have to be churned out that fast, so I'd want to prorate it. But the second one is that Wizards has a habit of nuking their digital tools & forums from previous editions of the game, I'd need something that if they no longer supported the tools (either but not offering, or by no longer providing material) that it's all released to the subscribers so we don't lose stuff.

I don't prefer character builders for games with as little content as 5e - I find I know what my character can do much better when I work it out by hand.

There are free VTTs out there but I currently run on Discord and Google Draw. And trust my players to roll their own dice.

Again, I'm willing to pay. They just need to come up with something innovative.

Remove ads