What if Earth suddenly stopped spinning?

Ryujin

Legend
The "sudden stop" is shown in the last few minutes of the 1936 movie "The man Who Could Work Miracles", based on the story by HG Wells ;)

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
This is probably my most reoccurring intrusive thought that just loves to pop into my head whenever I’m just minding my own business to give me a good old unhealthy dose of existential dread for the rest of the day.

Bagpuss

Legend
Not the same thing, but similar, The Last Day by Andrew Hunter Murray, is a novel based on an Earth that has become became tidally locked.

This is probably my most reoccurring intrusive thought that just loves to pop into my head whenever I’m just minding my own business to give me a good old unhealthy dose of existential dread for the rest of the day.
How familiar are you with Randall Munroe's What If: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions? ;)

Vael

Legend
Look what Andrew did!

Also ... "First, nearly everyone would die. Then things would get interesting." is such a great summary of XKCD's What If series.

aco175

Legend
I guess in a 65million years, there will be a fresh supply of oil. I'm guessing the oceans will take a moment more to stop and giant floods will cover everything like what happened to dinosaurs.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
That channel has 227K subscribers!?

Anyway, Bill Hicks describes a prankster god who just might be interested in stopping the earth, and would dispute @aco175 's dinosaur theory:

Remove ads