What if Focuses like Wands, Staves, Holy Symbols, etc were statted like weapons?

jmartkdr

First Post
If I were to so something like this (which does allow for more stuff for casters to find, and new ways to customize casters,) I would give each type a damage die and some other benefit, and have the cantrips use the implement's damage die.

Ie wands do 1d4 damage with damage cantrips, but have a property like 'light' that makes using them twice in a round easier.
Rods would have a more solid d6. Staves would have a d8 but require both hands somehow (though I'm not sure the downside is strong enough to make this a real differnce. You'd need some stronger upside to a free hand.)

Then cantrips would tack onto that: firebolt does one die type better damage, ray of frost does implement damage plus the slow effect, EB scales with extra attacks, poison spray does double dice, etc.

That's still a pretty big change to a lot of game elements for a small difference in actual play, though.

Though it's definitely a niche idea, I also feel the need for having things like dual-wield wands (despite all the issues with dual wielding weapons), wand and melee weapon, and finally shield and wand or rod.

I love the idwa of replacing wands and rods with cantrips for spellcasters.

I love the inage of dual wielding a sword and a wand of firebolt, or a shield and an orb of shocking hands.

In some ways it's sort of behind my idea that maybe wands should be like weapons, another is many video games out there where I guess those designers thought if fighter-types get all sorts of magic weapons as loot what do spellcasters get.

But I'm aware of how different in practice loot-based video games work from table-top and it's expectations.

Eberron Artificers I'd say had a lot of system mastery involved back in 3.5e, you'd make wands of Scorching Ray or Enervation (at appropriate levels) or whatever ranged touch spell that existed outside of the PHB to take advantage of the 3/4 BAB Artificers got, in addition to cure light wounds wands.

In 5e it's not built that way, and won't be till at least next week before we get the revised Artificer (blame the snow).

Its more the case that having a focus of the right material can give a damage bonus to your cantrips that use that energy type. And people in the know would recognise that fact and know by the material you chose for your staff, that you prefer to focus necrotic energy, or fire or whatever.
There is also the suggestion of a rule that using a two-handed focus like a staff can improve the range of your cantrips, in exchange for requiring both hands.

Many NPCs have the equivalent of the magic initiate feat, but actually require a focus to use the cantrips and spells from it. Hence "Wandslingers". Its not a class any more than "Archer" is a class.

jgsugden

Legend
I have a lot of similar concepts in my game, and have for decades.

Example: The Rod of Delos (Very Rare)

This is a spellcasting implement for Bards, Sorcerers, Warlocks and Wizards.

You may cast Fire Bolt and Create Bonfire as class cantrips if you are of a class that can cast any cantrips. If not, you may use the Fire Bolt cantrip three times per day using your Charisma modifier as your spellcasting modifier.

You know the direction and distance to any creature hit by your Fire Bolt for 1 hour after it was hit by this cantrip.

You have a +1 bonus to hit and damage with spells that require an attack roll and deal fire damage. Further, you have a +1 to the DC of any spells you cast that require a saving throw and deal fire damage, and you may reroll any 1s rolled on any damage roll for these 'fire save' spells.

I have a lot of items like this in my various campaigs, and the general structure has worked well.

Remove ads