• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What If Ranged Wpn Attacks Used Wisdom?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I think the same case could be made for most other ability scores as well. Strength: you need a heavy draw weight in order to punch through armor. Constitution: you're typically firing multiple times and you need to carefully center and hold your breath. Intelligence: you analyze the speed of the wind, the possible trajectory, the movement pattern of your target. Charisma: umm ... you ask the arrow to pretty please hit the target? ;)

More seriously - I really do think strength or intelligence would also make sense but for the most part I just wanted to make the joke about charisma. I don't see a need for it, I don't think it's a bad thing.
Cha is for looking like a damn gangster while you let loose.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I think of Wisdom as sensory perception and Dexterity as proprioception, so I think Dex is more appropriate for ranged attacks (maybe capped by Wisdom?) if our basis is what “makes sense.” That said, I’m not convinced what “makes sense” is a good metric. I don’t see anything wrong with changing which ability applies to ranged attacks in principle. The question of which ability to move it to depends on your goals. If it’s to lessen Dexterity’s “god stat” status, I think changing it to Wisdom would really just be shuffling papers around, since Wisdom is nearly as much of a “god stat” as Dex is. Maybe move it to Intelligence instead? Int is pretty underused in 5e,

Last edited:

HammerMan

Legend
I think of Wisdom as sensory perception and Dexterity as proprioception, so I think Dex is more appropriate for ranged attacks (maybe capped by Wisdom?) if our basis is what “makes sense.” That said, I’m not convinced what “makes sense” is a good metric.
once you go there though "Add dex mod up to a max of your wisdom mod" you can go to melee and make it "Add str mod up to a max of your Dex mod" it's a good system... all be it maybe not as simple as WotC wants

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
So, wisdom basically is perception, and you aim with your senses as much as anything else, if not more so.
Wisdom is not your senses per say. It doesn't mean you have better eyesight or a better hearing. It's closer to a natural awareness or good intuition. Or at least that's how it's presented.

Charlaquin

once you go there though "Add dex mod up to a max of your wisdom mod" you can go to melee and make it "Add str mod up to a max of your Dex mod" it's a good system... all be it maybe not as simple as WotC wants
Yeah, that could certainly work, if the goal is to make all martial characters multiple ability dependent. I think in such a system I would want to take similar steps to make casters multiple ability dependent as well. Maybe spell attacks are add dex mod up to max of int mod, and save DCs add int mod to a max of wis mod. Or something.

HammerMan

Legend
Yeah, that could certainly work, if the goal is to make all martial characters multiple ability dependent. I think in such a system I would want to take similar steps to make casters multiple ability dependent as well. Maybe spell attacks are add dex mod up to max of int mod, and save DCs add int mod to a max of wis mod. Or something.
I could go for ALL spell attacks are cha mod up to a max of INt mod, and all DCs are based on Int mod up to a max of Wis mod... this is fun, but I am afraid far from what D&D is built for or will be

Charlaquin

I could go for ALL spell attacks are cha mod up to a max of INt mod, and all DCs are based on Int mod up to a max of Wis mod... this is fun, but I am afraid far from what D&D is built for or will be
Yeah, good call putting Cha in there. But yeah, definitely not the direction I see D&D going.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads