• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What If Ranged Wpn Attacks Used Wisdom?

If we want to make sense, archery or any martial skill is all about training and technique.
5ed is especially bad with this, since the ability bonus usually exceed the proficiency bonus.
And funnily people whim about expertise who is the feature that make the most sense!

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
5ed is especially bad with this, since the ability bonus usually exceed the proficiency bonus.
I'm not so sure about that.

First of all, the proficiency bonus goes to +6, which is higher than the modifier of a maximum of +5.

Secondly, we have to take into consideration that D&D characters are not regular people just being good at something. As soon as you move into high ability scores, you're going to levels of strength, intelligence, dexterity that are beyond what the greatest athletes of time achieved in real life. We're not into superhero territory yet, but for the sake of example, I would 100% expect Superman's natural strength to be much more impactful than his rigorous training, where someone like Batman is the opposite.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Wisdom is not your senses per say. It doesn't mean you have better eyesight or a better hearing. It's closer to a natural awareness or good intuition. Or at least that's how it's presented.
Int or wisdom, it's as close as we've got in DnD to Perception as an attribute, which is what would actually make sense.

TheAlkaizer

Game Designer
Int or wisdom, it's as close as we've got in DnD to Perception as an attribute, which is what would actually make sense.
I'd argue that none of the ability scores is intended to cover the actual senses. The closest you'd have to that would be to be proficient in the Perception skill. Ability scores don't need to cover everything.

But I'm not saying this because I don't like the idea of using wisdom for ranged attacks. I love the idea!

doctorbadwolf

I'd argue that none of the ability scores is intended to cover the actual senses. The closest you'd have to that would be to be proficient in the Perception skill. Ability scores don't need to cover everything.

But I'm not saying this because I don't like the idea of using wisdom for ranged attacks. I love the idea!
I mean, they do need to in a system that is based pretty much entirely on ability checks. You don’t make a Perception check in 5e, you make a Wisdom check, and add a proficiency bonus to your Wisdom check if you are proficient in Perception. So, you do see and hear and otherwise sense things using Wisdom.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Any idea that dilutes Dexterity's usefulness is probably a good one.

Strength (for thrown weapons): a strong throwing arm means your projectiles are more likely to penetrate armor.
Intelligence: quick thinking means being able to anticipate target's movement, wind speed, etc., which means more likely to hit your target.
Wisdom: as the OP states, Wisdom = perception, and more preceptive = more likely to find a weak spot in target's armor.

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Hmm... if Wisdom becomes the ranged weapon stat, then lots of clerics and druids will adopt bows or crossbows. Fewer rogues will use crossbows or thrown daggers. If Strength is for thrown weapons, barbarians and fighters (and some paladins) will suddenly start throwing cutlery.
If Int is the range weapon stat, then wizards will all take up archery as a side hobby. :)

doctorbadwolf

Hmm... if Wisdom becomes the ranged weapon stat, then lots of clerics and druids will adopt bows or crossbows. Fewer rogues will use crossbows or thrown daggers. If Strength is for thrown weapons, barbarians and fighters (and some paladins) will suddenly start throwing cutlery.
If Int is the range weapon stat, then wizards will all take up archery as a side hobby. :)
Nothing wrong with more PCs using bows, IMO. I’d probably allow Wis or Int, based on some great points raised in this thread.

And I think you’d just see rogues with high Int/wisdom more often, and thieves and inquisitive would play more differently.

The downside here is that rogues and fighters would be even more strongly incentivized to specialize in one mode of combat, which I think is bad for the game.

ECMO3

Hero
So, wisdom basically is perception, and you aim with your senses as much as anything else, if not more so.

Then Dex would just be initiative, melee finesse weapons, Dex saves, Dex skills, and AC. Still a very strong stat, but a significant drop in power.

Wisdom would then be saves, ranged weapon attacks (and damage) and wisdom skills.

tbh initiative could be Int, instead, as well.

anything I’m missing?
Clerics, Druids and Rangers would be OP. Ranged fighters would be heavily MADand a weaker class than they already are.

Remove ads