• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is a Character?

Tangent Loki

First Post
I cannot seem to find it. And I do not have my books on me at the moment.

but what is the glossary definition of 'character?'

I saw an ability the other day that specified 'character' in it.

Does that mean has class levels a la NPC, or PC?

because otherwise they are 'monsters'

Or does it mean if <character performed effect> happens at all then the result is <new effect>

I'm a little clueless.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
Character is synonymous with Creature in D&D. They both mean 'something that has ability scores and can take actions'.

Whether it's a human, a zombie, a golem, a giant spider, a gelatinous cube, a fire elemental, an animated object, or whatever. It does not need to have class levels or anything.

Tangent Loki

First Post
its a player's ability.

He was using summons to trigger it.

and it specifies 'another character'

I didn't ask, but I figured I would look it up after the game.

heck I didn't even know it said 'another character' until I looked at it after the game.

but I also learned the ability only applies to the first attack (not just because of the 'other character part, but because it specifies that itself)

Elocator Opportunistic Strike.

It still gets me that it effects undead though.

Insight damage on a precision flavor.

moritheil

First Post
"Beginning at 2nd level, an elocater’s hyperawareness of spatial relations gives her an instinctive view of the battlefield, which allows her to make a cunning attack against distracted opponents. The elocater gains a +2 insight bonus on her attack roll and her damage roll (if the attack hits) for the first attack she makes against an opponent that has been dealt damage in melee by another character since the elocater’s last action. At 5th level the insight bonus increases to +4, and at 8th level the insight bonus increases to +6."

Character = any monster, PC, or NPC seems perfectly reasonable here. All they need to be capable of is making an attack.

Remove ads