• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is it about Drizzt that you just can't stand?

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Drow used to be menacing & dark, evil to the core. Now everyone thinks of this crappy character when they think of Drow. He's just another small part of the pile of cheesy crap that is the Forgotten Realms.

WORST

SETTING

EVER!

kreynolds

First Post
Forrester said:
Apparently, he kills them quite regularly, for no good reason at all.

Actually, the last time he ran into some goblins (I think they were goblins), he didn't just outright kill them. In fact, he asked them if they would let he and his friends stay in their cave for the evening. Everything was fine until the little critters made their very rude and uncivilized intentions towards Cattie readily apparent, which only pissed him off, so he killed them. So, he had plenty of good reason. :)

kreynolds

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Drow used to be menacing & dark, evil to the core. Now everyone thinks of this crappy character when they think of Drow. He's just another small part of the pile of cheesy crap that is the Forgotten Realms.

Then you haven't read the pile of cheesy crap very carefully. Most drow are still very nasty, and there are far more nasty drow than there are good drow.

Personally, when I think of Drow, I don't think of Drizzt. I think of House Obladra (sp?). You know, the psionic ones? God they were nasty.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
**bump**
sgrin.gif

Storm Raven

First Post
Protean Victor said:
Why I don't blame him for turning Rangers into Two-Weapon fighters: That precedence was set long before Salvatore or D&D came on the scene with Strider.

Umm, no. At no point in the LotR does Aragorn ever fight with two weapons. In one scene on Weathertop he picks up a pair of burning sticks from the fire and waves them about to drive off the ringwraiths (who withdrawm having injured Frodo already, and thus accomplsihed the purpose of the incursion), but he doesn't actually fight with them.

When he actually fights, he uses his sword. Singular. Later, after he gets better armed when he visits Theoden, he uses a shield. But he never fights with two weapons. Based upon the text of the LotR books (without reference to the movies) Aragorn can not be used as an example of a ranger fighting with two weapons.

Numion

First Post
Flexor the Mighty! said:

WORST

SETTING

EVER!

The "pile of cheesy crap" won the origin award for best RP supplement, but hey, what do they know? Compared to you, I mean. ;)

VoodooGroves

First Post
I don't like Drizzt because frankly

- he's another albino dark mysterious elf, rebelling against his kind .... oh and he's nigh-unstoppable - too stereotypical
- I was too old when the books came out and a sword named "twinkle" or "twinkie" just wasn't at all funny. I found it a bit inane.

As for piles of cheesy crap, I'm ok with it as long as things maintain the same level of seriousness. The Drizzt stuff tends to border on silly, and so I don't tend to like him.

Of course, his portrayal in the freaking Baldur's Gate series of PC games didn't help. At least in those games you could rob him blind. And even if you killed him in the first game he shows up in the second. How can you get rid of this freak?

Sulimo

First Post
Storm Raven said:

Umm, no. At no point in the LotR does Aragorn ever fight with two weapons. In one scene on Weathertop he picks up a pair of burning sticks from the fire and waves them about to drive off the ringwraiths (who withdrawm having injured Frodo already, and thus accomplsihed the purpose of the incursion), but he doesn't actually fight with them.

When he actually fights, he uses his sword. Singular. Later, after he gets better armed when he visits Theoden, he uses a shield. But he never fights with two weapons. Based upon the text of the LotR books (without reference to the movies) Aragorn can not be used as an example of a ranger fighting with two weapons.

Interestingly, in the teaser for TTT, Legolas is shown doing some two-weapon fighting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads