Pathfinder 1E What IS Pathfinder's design goal? Forked: Pathfinder's casters.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I agree the numbers are encouraging....

But I am an example of one that downloaded the rules and skimmed them once. I hope that I am not considered a playtester by your definition.

And each of the other 5 guys at my game table are just like me. DL'ed, skimmed, never really looked at it again.

I am waiting for the final rules to come out and I might buy it because I am getting rid of many of my 3.x books (for space), but I wasn't a playtester just because I downloaded it. :)

Technically, you are counted as a playtester. If the guys at your table also each downloaded the rules, they also count. That's why we can't really be sure how many actual playtesters we had... but we DID have an awful lot of feedback, in any event!

And on one level, the fact that you were interested enough to look at the Beta (and thus might buy the final books) is in and of itself encouraging from our sales viewpoint, of course! :p

Treebore

First Post
:lol:

then there are people like me, who have absolutely no intention of ever playing Pathfinder, but will buy the rules just see what you do decide to do with them!

Plus I will be keeping the Beta rules set, because there are cool ideas in there too!

Now when you do decide to do a "fixed" version of 3E, that one I will not only buy, but play, to see if I agree with your designers. Hopefully I will agree.

Zil

Explorer
Your experience may well be offset by any single GM who downloaded the rules and implemented some or all of them with his group of three or more players. That would require only one out of five DLers to be using the rules in-game to achieve a similar number of those "playtesting."
That would be the case in our group (6 people). We've been playtesting the Alpha (and then beta) rules. I was the only person to download the rules so that would be one download for 6 playtesters.

Zil

Explorer
Plus I will be keeping the Beta rules set, because there are cool ideas in there too!
Our group has grown quite attached to the Beta rules. I'm not sure what we'll do with the final rules where some things have been pulled back closer to 3.5. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it! In any event, I plan to buy 2 copies of the final rules for the gaming table.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I believe the number is based on the unique downloads per account of the beta rules from Paizo.com.
5 playtesters here, with one download and account used (mine; I was the DM). I gave some feedback here and there. Maybe some of it was useful in some way. *shrug*

Anyway, yeah. The number could be a lot higher. Dunno.

Papa-DRB

First Post
Our group has grown quite attached to the Beta rules. I'm not sure what we'll do with the final rules where some things have been pulled back closer to 3.5. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it! In any event, I plan to buy 2 copies of the final rules for the gaming table.

Yea, me too! I have been downloading the web pages from the Pathfinder OGC wiki and will be creating a local copy, just in case there are things in the final rules where I would prefer the beta rules.

Oh, and 7 people, 5 downloads.....

8 people have seen my download( 5 that play in my group) and my printed copy looks well used as it got passed around the whole group as we have been playing with it pretty much since the alpha 1. And yo have sold at lest 2 copes of the finished Book at the very lest

Zerohawk

First Post
I participate in two separate gaming groups and as far as I can tell I'm the only one who has downloaded the rules, but after having them printed and bound and passing them around 8 of my players have placed preorders for the finished product with a 9th going with me to GenCon to hopefully pick up a copy there.

I've ordered 2 copies for myself.

nnms

First Post
Downloaded the beta. Thought it was cool, but went with 4e in the end for the current game. One thing that has resulted though is that I started noticing the Pathfinder: Chronicles products at the local store. I never would have picked them up had I not heard of pathfinder online and checked out the beta. What I found in them was some awesome stuff that is worth having regardless of the system used.

I'm sure I'll play Pathfinder some time in the future. One of the player's in my group loves 3.x and I'm sure when he gets jazzed enough to run a game, it'll be with Pathfinder.

Mournblade94

Adventurer

I have run every edition after 1st edition as a hybrid. My 2nd edition game was a 1st edition hybrid. My 3rd edition was a hybrid with those two editions (keeping things like racial restrictions on classes, converting some old spells, etc.).

I will most likely treat the new Pathfinder the same... keeping the racial restrictions from 1st edition (though modified because through player in game action Dwarves can now be paladins), and if I feel Beta did something better I will replace it in the final Pathfinder.

That was part of my problem with 4e. People I have discussed this with in the gamestore agree with me, but there might be debate here: I can't hybrid 4e well with older editions. Or maybe I can but the work involved is just over the threshold.

Remove ads