• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best software for creating quick NPCs?

fredramsey

First Post
I have E-Tools. Don't get me started :(

I'm looking for something where I can go, "I need a 3rd level Rogue" and boom! I have one, complete with sensible equipment, fully statted out. Unlike some software, I don't want it to give every fighter it generates the same armor and weapons...

Has anyone made this yet?

Thanks!

Psion

Adventurer
I know of no generator that equips the character. There was an equipment roller for 3.0 that took class and level to determine equipment randomly, but it was a bit clunky.

MerakSpielman

First Post
I want one too. The best combo was the NPC generator plus the equipment generator, but then I had to manually change the weapons to match the NPCs feat choices, and a few other changes... I'd really like a program that could do this intelligently.

And Etools "generator" just pops out the default NPC from the appropriate chapter in the DMG, nothing more.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Jamis

The Jamis Buck 3.5 version is the one I use, and it's available offline too, there's a link to that at the address provided above.

It doesn't do equipment, but reminds you of how much value they're to have. I find it's generally not too hard shopping for the stuff and quickly adding in the extra stats (weapon damage, armor bonuses and magic item perks) after the fact. It's basic and pretty quick.

-DM Jeff

jerichothebard

First Post
http://www.dndtools.com/

I use this spreadsheet, which was recommended from a friend of my who knows the developers.

You still have to do the work of picking feats and equipment, but it goes really fast. Like, five minutes or so fast.

It does require excel, though.

good luck!

jtb

fredramsey

First Post
I had an e-mail conversation with James Buck one time, and he said he was going to add equipment by making "packages" for each of the character classes, and the ability to add more of them.

Looks like I just might have to write this and make a million bucks ;)

Remove ads