What is "The Forge?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostSoul

Adventurer
d20Dwarf said:
Well, sorta. :) If you told me some crap movie I'd never heard of was the greatest film ever made and that all commercially successful films from the last 5 years owed it gratitude, I would think you were off your rocker. "High quality products will find distribution" is not the same thing as "that with the best distribution has the highest quality."

You know, Citizen Kane was a flop when it came out. ;) (Yes, I know that has no relevance to the issue here.)

Wil

First Post
Dave Turner said:
Right, because commercial success is the sole indicator of a product's worth. The games that have made the most money are obviously the best games, because the mere fact that lots of people like something is the surest indicator of its merits. What game has the best rules? Whichever one made the most money! Danielle Steel and Stephen King are obviously the best writers in the world because they've sold the most books. Titanic is obviously the best movie ever made because it made a whole pile of cash. Commercial benchmarks are the best indicators of a game's quality as a game. :uhoh:

They're the best games for the people who want to buy them. It's not an indicator of quality, it's demand and a host of other factors. Popularity != quality, popularity = success.

Dave Turner

First Post
d20Dwarf said:
Well, sorta. :) If you told me some crap movie I'd never heard of was the greatest film ever made and that all commercially successful films from the last 5 years owed it gratitude, I would think you were off your rocker. "High quality products will find distribution" is not the same thing as "that with the best distribution has the highest quality."
Fair enough. I better understand your objection now, since you're suggesting that Forge proponents are attributing the commercial success of non-Forge products to the Forge. ;)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Dave Turner said:
Forge proponents are attributing the commercial success of non-Forge products to the Forge. ;)

I don't think that anybody here has done that, but Clinton did exactly that in thread on RPGnet that was linked to earlier. Luke suggested that those who do not apply Forge theory in design are directly influenced by it, because its mere existence means that it influences everybody. I think Henry actually quoted this latter bit of madness early on in this thread.

Jim Hague

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I don't think that anybody here has done that, but Clinton did exactly that in thread on RPGnet that was linked to earlier. Luke suggested that those who do not apply Forge theory in design are directly influenced by it, because its mere existence means that it influences everybody. I think Henry actually quoted this latter bit of madness early on in this thread.

Y'know, I've noticed that the people from Forge-land that I tend to listen to (naturally) have ideas that synch up with my own, save that they've actually written them down instead of relying on the moon-language of internalization.

Take Keith (who I mentioned earlier) - I asked him some months back (almost a year now...) about Conspiracy of Shadows' engine, let him know I was impressed and thought it'd be nifty to utilize it for my own game. Keith asked for a precis, which I sent...and damn. I wasn't expecting his response - as enthusiastic as players who'd been in the campaign the game is based on for 10 years. Never did he ivory tower me, berate me for being a 'd-20 head' (which I can only assume means 'doody head' or 'commoner' in Forgeite). I suggest folks to to his site, read his blog - he subscribes to Forge theory, more or less, but it's remarkably BS-free, ivory tower academics need not apply. For Keith's ideas on cinematic/television-dramatic play alone, it's worth the trip.

Like games, not all folks at the Forge are built alike.

fusangite

First Post
First off, kudos to Samuel for the thimble/bucket/barrel analogy for the Forge. It expresses my difficulties with the categorization system well.
Lostsoul said:
Wait, I'm lost. "Story Now" or "story now"? You see how I define "Story Now" - addressing moral and ethical issues. If the goal isn't to address those issues, it's not "Story Now." (Using my own definition.) The desire to be part of/create a story isn't necessarily part of that.

For instance, playing through the saga of Beowulf with the intent of creating a story that mirrors Beowulf's. (Let me clear that up - where the goal of play is to stay as true to the story of Beowulf as possible, and avoiding making your own, personal choices about the issues brought up in that saga; instead, you want to follow Beowulf's lead, and make the choices that he made.) Since you aren't addressing moral and ethical issues, it's not "Story Now".

The players want a story, but they avoid making personal choices about moral and ethical issues via gameplay - it doesn't fit my definition of "Story Now". It might be "story now", however.

Maybe that means that "Story Now" is a bad label.
Maybe? Maybe!? The fact that a term means something radically different depending on whether it’s capitalized!?

Let’s suppose I wanted to rehabilitate narrativism into what a friend of mine, who is a Forge regular, thinks it is. I would define narrativism as follows:

A creative agenda where the participants wish to engage in collaborative storytelling by decentring from the GM those elements of the rules that permit direct modification of the story unmediated by the game world’s physics or the constraints of the individual powers/boundaries of a character. For example, a narrativist group might have rules enabling players to create and stat important NPCs during play; they might have rules enabling players to create or modify the challenges faced by their character or those characters played by others. An example of such a game is the Forge-affiliated Prime Time Adventures.

Prime Time Adventures, as I understand it, can be played equally well by people choosing to conceptualize the choices they are making, as players, about the challenges their characters and those of fellow players face as moral or ethical and those who conceptualize them based solely on aesthetic criteria. I see no great conflict within a group comprised in equal parts of players who conceptualize the choices and situations they play out in different ways.

The only way they are going to come into conflict is if those who are choosing to think about these things as about morality/ethics as opposed to coolness or grittiness is if they are arrogant pricks who can’t take gaming with people who fail to take notice of their profundity. Isn’t the purpose of identifying these different styles to prevent conflicts in creative agenda? Everybody in my example has a “story now” agenda but because half of them aren’t using the game to explore human ethics and morality, the game can’t be classified as “Story Now.”
Wil said:
So, the Forge is like my company's Princeton office - they're trying to tell us what's innovative, what we should like, what is the best game to do x with - and they've distanced themselves enough to not quite understand why most gamers don't care.
I think you are mistaken Wil. I think being a Forgeite wouldn’t be a desirable identity if it were available to everyone. How can people who play these games know they are superior if any old gamer might purchase, appreciate and, heaven forbid, understand them.
eyebeams said:
Mind you, the "never play the games," thing has to do with Ron's bizarre assertion that nobody plays Vampire, but that's a different humdinger.
Do you mean that it falls into the fourth category of “illusionism” where people only think they’re playing a game. (I was stunned to discover that this was actually part of Forge thought!)
Wayside said:
Gaming doesn't have to be about anything. Gaming doesn't even have to be about gaming.
I hate to tell you this but yes it does. I can write all kinds of forum posts in this space but what I can’t do is write a post that is not about this post. It is impossible for a thing to be itself and not pertain to itself.
Nobody's right or wrong in any absolute fashion,
Wrong again Wayside! You’re wrong. Right now.
Umbran said:
Um, perhaps because quality of product doesn't mean diddly if you dont' have major marketing and distribution so that people hear about it and can get their grubby paws on it? Making a good product and reaching an audience with that product are two thoroughly separate activities.
While I don’t go all the way down the road with D20 Dwarf that good=popular and bad=unpopular when it comes to RPGs, to state that quality and popularity have nothing whatsoever to do with eachother is kind of absurd. There’s a pretty wide distance between “identical” and “completely separate.” The truth is somewhere in there. Otherwise, the Phantom Menace is an objectively great movie. Otherwise, Ishtar (a movie I happen to like by the way) is of equal quality to Schindler’s List.

I think D20 Dwarf’s main point, however, is not about a product’s quality but about how influential it is. The fact is that while there isn’t going to be a 1:1 correspondence here, there is pretty clearly a direct variation relationship.
Where I come from, disparity comnes from differences. I'd imagine that if most gamers are bad at gaming, then the quality of play in most groups would be rather uniformly bad. Only groups of collected good gamers would have high-quality play. If good gamers are in the minority, there should be few of these groups, and thus few incidents of disparity.
Disparity in what sense? There are as many kinds of bad play as there are of good play, perhaps more.
mythusmage said:
My purpose here is nothing so benign as trying to win. No, my purpose when replying to your statements and assertions is a cruel one. It is a vile and nasty one. My purpose is to make you doubt.
If you want eyebeams to doubt that you are wrong, posting things like this isn’t exactly feeding into your grand strategy.
Jim Hague said:
the assertion that you need to immerse yourself in the community or be considered a wannabe is downright destructive.
Well observed Jim! The Forge’s occult approach to discourse (which is mainly what I’m referring to when I complain of ‘poststructuralist blather’) is such a huge chunk of its problem.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
eyebeams said:
Actually, the big secret of successful game design (that someone actually passed down to me) is this:

Most gamers are really bad at gaming.

Lots of stuff proceeds from this, but we also can't directly tell gamers they aren't that good at it, because it sounds bad to say about one's audience. Disguising this while trying to solve it eats up a great deal of effort.

I think you may have grossly over-simplified, but I think I know where you're coming from. I can back 'Most roleplayers are really bad at roleplay' - I've met precious few roleplayers who don't need detailed rules to dictate interaction between characters or with the world in which those characters live (oh how I long for those precious few).

I've always run into the wall of 'You mean there isn't a skill list?!?! or 'You mean I have to act it out?!?!' when trying to introduce rules-light games to certain people. For many roleplayers, it seems that not having a mechanic specifically designed for X is a totally alien concept. Actually resolving social interaction through social interaction? Preposterous! ;)

Incidentally, I recall the two of us going for each other's throat over at RPGnet several times. I'm not sure if it's the serentiy that I've gained over the last year or this high altitude, but suddenly you seem like a guy worth listening too... and agreeing with.

It's a Festivus miracle!

Bastoche

First Post
Kanegrundar said:
That's patently false. Just because I don't agree with something 100% doesn't mean that I don't understand it. That's the kind of attitude that turned me off to the Forge is the first place.

If you reject it 100%, it implies you reject each and every little bits they say.

They say that role playing is a game. You rejecting 100% of what they say imply that to you, RPGing is NOT a game. I'm stretching it, but my point is that I'm emphasising on the 100% part. not the rejecting/agreeing/whatever.<

What I find disgusting in this thread is that people reject what the guys at the forge has to say because of their attitude rather than their ideas. Most people on this thread comment on hearsay. That's low IMO. And the thread is pointless because we can't really argue about their ideas themselves because they are so badly presented on the forge (IMO at the very least).

radferth

First Post
Bastoche said:
my point is not "If you question it, you just don't get it!" but rather "If you reject it 100%, you just don't get it!'.

I reminded of an old Young Ones episode in which Rick Mayal's character is dressing down some older-generation type while in line for something. He finnishes off his diatribe with the malaprop: "... and the only reason you don't understand our music is that you don't like it!"

Jim Hague

First Post
fusangite said:
Well observed Jim! The Forge’s occult approach to discourse (which is mainly what I’m referring to when I complain of ‘poststructuralist blather’) is such a huge chunk of its problem.

I guess it's coming from an IT/customer service background...but I hate occult (in the sense of 'hidden' knowledge) language.

As was rightly pointed out earlier, one of the very biggest stumbling blocks to expanding the hobby, be it within the existing/potential customer base or the mainstream, is the thrice-damned jargon. The Forge (but, again, not necessarily all who participate there) fosters what amounts to a culture of secrecy and 'geek cred' - if you can't understand what they're saying, then you don't 'get it', and then are summarily dismissed from the Forge's position of false intellectual superiority. IMO, part of this is the cult of personality around Ron, and part of it is this insane desire to be the 'cool kids'. Who cares about being cool? Writecherdamngames!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads