D&D 5E What is the most powerful spell?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Cantrip list is missing Blade Ward (a highly underrated cantrip).

1st level list is missing Witch Bolt (one of the least useful 1st level spells) and Chromatic Orb (one of the best 1st level ranged attack spells at 3d8 damage, choose the damage type).

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Magic Missile is above the curve for damage. At 1st level spell is supposed to do about 2d10 (11) damage if single target, or 2d6 (7) if it can hit multiple opponents.
I'm going to assume MM counts as signle target because it's not one instance of damage across multiple creatures.

So MM should do around 11 damage, if it had an attack roll. Indeed, it does an average of 10.5 damage. But without an attack roll.

TL;DR: According to the DMG, Magic Missile doesn't lose any damage for its auto-hit function.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I would argue that Hunter's Mark is much too high for a "standard non-melee Wizard". Hunter's Mark is great if you have a lot of attacks, and don't have a lot of other spells worth using up concentration for. It's particularly useful once you can spend a 3rd level slot on it to maintain it for the entire adventuring day. But for a bog-standard wizard, it's at the "not-that-useful" tier.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I would argue that Hunter's Mark is much too high for a "standard non-melee Wizard". Hunter's Mark is great if you have a lot of attacks, and don't have a lot of other spells worth using up concentration for. It's particularly useful once you can spend a 3rd level slot on it to maintain it for the entire adventuring day. But for a bog-standard wizard, it's at the "not-that-useful" tier.
This. It's why I prefer Hex, as that works on more than just weapon attacks.

Yaarel

He Mage

That is an interesting point. I guess the Ranger is inherently built to exploit it, but the spell itself is not so different from Divine Favor, for example, even if an upgrade in damage and duration. Relative to the other spells, between which two spells would you put Hunters Mark.

Its kinda blowing my mind to suggest that Hunters Mark is less than excellent.

For the moment, I am moving Hunters Mark to the ‘bottom’ of the Melee Suicide category. Even tho Hunters Mark can be used with Ranged Weapon, like longbow, the category corresponds better to the way an Eldritch Knight could exploit it. I moved Divine Favor into the same category.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
The "best" spell is the one that achieves the desired goal while simultaneously circumventing any dangers or damages to you or your allies, most efficiently.

For instance, against an adversarial foe you wish to defeat, Disintegrate or Power Word Kill should do nicely.

Yaarel

He Mage
I shifted Mage Armor from the ‘top’ of the Good category to the ‘bottom’ of the Not Bad category.

Objectively, Mage Armor is a solid spell − not bad, but it isnt really a good spell. Its just that the Wizard is so desperate for anything that helps AC.

Maybe Mage Armor should have been designed as a cantrip. In the same way the Wizard uses a cantrip in place of a weapon proficiency, it makes sense to choose a cantrip in place of an armor proficiency.

Gwarok

Explorer
So what? It's still the best 9th lv spell.

Dunno about that, Foresight is pretty crazy. 8 hours, no concentration, advantage on everything, opponents have disadvantage on everything against you, that is pretty huge and can't be duplicated with a Wish. And if you do anything other than recreate another spell of 8th or lower, which is pretty damn nice I'll admit, it prevents you from spellcasting until you take a long rest and lowers your STR top 3 for 2D4 days. That's a pretty big limitation. Seems to me whatever you did couldn't be worth what you might have done other wise with all your other spells in those 2D4 days. Unless its your last spell of the day.

Also, the OP put "Protection from Good and Evil" in the useless category? That is a fantastic spell, almost too good for a 1st level if you ask me. I don't think I've ever played a spellcaster who didn't rack that when they went out of the house.

Magic Armor is a solid spell, enjoying 8 hour duration, despite it being modest, with even a mundane chain shirt being superior, objectively speaking.

Mage Armor is better than you give it credit for, since you can cast it on others. Goes well with air elementals (AC 15 => 18) and invisible stalkers (AC 14 => 17) for example, as well as Moon Druids. A single Mage Armor can increase the all-day durability of a Moon Druid by perhaps 25-40%. You'll never see Magic Missile increase anyone's all-day DPR by that much with a single casting.

Remove ads