D&D 5E What is the most powerful spell?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Yes weight loss. Goodberry fills you for a day, without over-feeding. Adventurers might over eat though.

It provides a days worth of nourishment, it doesn't say it keeps you from feeling hungry all day.

You can get a day's worth of nourishment from a single meal, it doesn't mean you won't be hungry again in a few hours. :p

Thurmas

Explorer
I'm not sure why you would put some of the restrictions on this. Why not cast as a ritual? I've used Unseen Servant multiple times for a variety of uses and never cast it using a spell slot. Why take away a key feature of the spell? If it wasn't a ritual, it would probably be more powerful.

Why rate these spells as a Wizard if they aren't wizard spells? That's pretty narrow. Sure, a wizard probably won't use Shillelagh, but that doesn't make it a bad spell. Druids and Clerics love it. Same for produce flame. Sure, damage wise it is weaker then Flame Bolt, but Druids also don't have access to Flame Bolt. Again, its comparing apples and oranges when they are spells for different classes.

Shocking Grasp is a fun spell. I'd have to double check, but I believe its the only Touch range cantrip, meaning you can cast it through your familiar. Nothing like having your weasel hug someone for 3d8 lightning damage. Plus the loss of their reaction. Why disengage when you can shock them?

Lastly, Prestidigitation is fantastic. Probably the best cantrip in 5E. I use it so much for so many things.

Yaarel

He Mage
I'm not sure why you would put some of the restrictions on this. Why not cast as a ritual?

Rituals complicate the way people rate spells. For example, some rate a spell as Not Bad in the sense that even tho it is substandard, at least it could be cast as a ritual if the unlikely corner case ever did come up. At the same time, others rate this same spell as Less Useful, in the sense that they would avoid choosing it for one of their precious prepared/known spells.

To avoid confusion, the standard assumes that there are no rituals, so all spell ratings can help a player decide which spells to prepare/know.

The no-ritual approach focuses on the spell description itself, how useful it actually is, and whether the spell was designed well.

Most of the spells are decent, but some outliers need attention. The thread by Yunru, A Revised Spellbook, that seeks to standardize some of the inconsistencies, in part motivated me to do this thread.

I hope designers find this thread useful to design and adapt the 5e game, and DMs find it helpful when creating new spells, new archetypes for a class, or even new classes and races.

Why rate these spells as a Wizard if they aren't wizard spells?

There are various ways for one class to access spells outside the class spell list. Wizard traditions might grant new spells, not to mention Bard Magical Secrets, Cleric Domains, races, feats, multiclassing, prestige classes, magic items, and so on. So it is important to compare all spells with each other regardless of any class lists.

Note, gishy spellcasters like Bard, Druid, Cleric, and so on, tend to benefit from the spells that the Eldritch Knight benefits from.

Lastly, Prestidigitation is fantastic.

In other editions, Prestidigitation is a favorite spell. I consider it like a mini-Wish.

But the 5e version, what exactly it can do, is more carefully controlled. It can light your candles (if you have unlit candles prepared), wash your dishes, make your food taste good, chill the white wine, iron the table cloth, get violin music playing in the background, and jot down a list of items. Heh, it is basically a Restaurant Waiter cantrip.

(I cant even use the 5e Prestidigitation to wash my face and get a shave and haircut! − one of my favorite conveniences. And technically, I cant even light the fireplace in the room, since it isnt a ‘camp site’.)

The ability to produce a small item is handy (no pun intended). And the sensory effect is highly versatile.

Anyway, the 5e Prestidigitation is a solid spell, and fun, and versatile − especially for social encounters. But it isnt what it is in other editions.

For me, the 5e Minor Image cantrip is now my new favorite ‘Prestidigitation’ cantrip.

Last edited:

Thurmas

Explorer
In other editions, Prestidigitation is a favorite spell. I consider it like a mini-Wish.

But the 5e version, what exactly it can do, is more carefully controlled. It can light your candles (if you have unlit candles prepared), wash your dishes, make your food taste good, chill the white wine, iron the table cloth, get violin music playing in the background, and jot down a list of items. Heh, it is basically a Restaurant Waiter cantrip.

(I cant even use the 5e Prestidigitation to wash my face and get a shave and haircut! − one of my favorite conveniences. And technically, I cant even light the fireplace in the room, since it isnt a ‘camp site’.)

The ability to produce a small item is handy (no pun intended). And the sensory effect is highly versatile.

Anyway, the 5e Prestidigitation is a solid spell, and fun, and versatile − especially for social encounters. But it isnt what it is in other editions.

For me, the 5e Minor Image cantrip is now my new favorite ‘Prestidigitation’ cantrip.

So then the question is, are you validating spells based on how good they were in other editions? Or based on their merits solely in 5th Edition. Because this comment looks like you are downgrading it because of it being less powerful then previous editions.

The spell is as good as you make it, limited by your (and your DM's) imagination. It does things no other spell can really accomplish, certainly not for the cost of a cantrip. I've used the spell to clear mud and blood from my ropes, soiled a drunkards pants and convinced the tavern he peed himself to avoid a bar fight, and warmed winter clothing to stave off the chill of cold night. I've flavored caltrops to taste like meat and dropped them in a pool of water for a shark to eat. So many options.

You might think it is under powered compared to previous editions, which might be true, but I didn't interpret the point of your thread to be comparing spells to older editions. I thought it was 5E spells in 5E. And in 5E, prestidigitation is quite excellent.

Yaarel

He Mage
So then the question is, are you validating spells based on how good they were in other editions? Or based on their merits solely in 5th Edition.

The evaluation of each spell depends strictly on its merit in 5e.

I just meant to call attention to how 5e versions of some spells can subtly but significantly differ from the way players might assume from other editions. In other words, the spell must depend on its merit in 5e.

In 5e, Prestidigitation is a solid spell.

I've used the spell, ... soiled a drunkards pants and convinced the tavern he peed himself to avoid a bar fight.

An effective − and hilarious − use of Prestidigitation.

I shifted Prestidigitation over to the Good category, while leaving the related Thaumaturgy and Druidry in the Not Bad category.

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Rather surprised to see Identify being rated so low among 1st-level spells, until I remembered in 5e it doesn't take much to otherwise learn what an item can do.

How boring.
Level 10
Caster Wife.
11 O'CLOCK spell.
Verbal.
"it is eleven pm. Time for you to go home." So far for the last 17 years no one in my game group has saved against it.
In these parts that spell hasn't been invented largely due to the existence of the most powerful magic item the game has ever known: the Ring of DM Control.

It has the above spell as a minor one of its many, many functions.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
The very best spell in the game is just before we start and the table chit-chat comes to a hush in anticipation. Our nerves are tingling, our grins and eyes are wide with anticipation and we gleefully and acutely listen and wonder what the DM is going to say next......

.....That's the best spell in the game.....

Remove ads