• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the single best fantasy novel of all time?

HaroldTheHobbit

Adventurer
Ok, so I'm a sci fi dude at heart, and I still think the absolute majority of fantasy I've (tried to) read are formulaic, overlong snoozefests. But that also mean that I've only read a fraction of fantasy literature compared to broad sci fi and other genres and classics, and there actually are good fantasy books.

So I have a list of 3 to pick from.

3 The original Dragonlance trilogy. As a young teen it shaped my view of what good fantasy and roleplaying fiction should be. In retrospect it is poorly written, have a whole bunch of unsavory bagage, and there are way, way better game based books. But nostalgia is nostalgia.

2 Tolkien. The genre master of course. But I have a hard time reading his books as the best fantasy of all times, I view them more as important fantasy literature in a historic sense that set lots of high benchmarks for the genre.

1 So my number one must be LeGuins Earthsea trilogy, and to pick one, the first in the series, A Wizard of Earthsea. Amazing prose and creativity, enjoyable for adolescent and adult alike.

A comment on Ghormengast: I love the trilogy and have reread it a bunch of times, but for me the books are more weird fiction than fantasy. But lets not derail the thread by getting into a genre definition war ;-)

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think Eddings's style has aged particularly well, and his personal history has cast a pall over his books. (See also: Marion Zimmer Bradley and Anne McCaffrey.)

Anyway, another vote for Lord of the Rings.

I also reread one and yeah. Elenium still kinda fun but wasn't as good as I remembered. He's also repetitive.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I also reread one and yeah. Elenium still kinda fun but wasn't as good as I remembered. He's also repetitive.
I did not enjoy my re-reads of him much. Which is fine. Not every book needs to be re-read. Like, the Vlad Taltos books are fun re-reads, but they aren't the best novels of all time.

nevin

Hero
I love the whole idea of a world where witches and wizards and werewolfs all grows up and become's a modern world with degree's in witchcraft and flash modules that let Were's control thier shapeshiting and car factories alongside magic carpet factories. It's not even victorian, or steampunk it's just a modern world with science and magic. so fun. Not many stories like it. don't get me wrong I love the broken sword, I'd be voting 3 hearts and 3 lions instead of it though, but they are both just standard fantasy stories buried with a million others many of them just like it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads