• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the single best science fiction novel of all time?

The two big science-fictional presuppositions of the Dune series are faster than light travel and genetic memories, the rest is pretty grounded.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this "grounded" bit. Ornithopters, shields, weirding, heart plugs, hunter-seekers, mentats, guildsmen, stilsuits. The list goes on, and gets much longer as soon as you bring in things from Ix. Even the books in Dune are sci-fi, with both filmbooks and microfilament printing.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this "grounded" bit. Ornithopters, shields, weirding, heart plugs, hunter-seekers, mentats, guildsmen, stilsuits. The list goes on, and gets much longer as soon as you bring in things from Ix. Even the books in Dune are sci-fi, with both filmbooks and microfilament printing.
I do think I missed one other science-fictional presupposition in Dune. Machines in the image of a human mind and human minds in the image of machines.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads