• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the single best science fiction or fantasy franchise?

Of the many TMNT cartoons that came out over the decades (geez I feel old after saying that 😋 ), which version of the TMNT was your favorite? Mine had to be the 2003 version which was the closest to the original Eastman and Laird version of the TMNT. Dark and morally gray.

Here is my argument for Frankenstein: much of the great science fiction to follow, the entire "cautionary" branch of sci-fi, not only has Frankenstein in its genes, but remains directly derivative of it. William Gibson's entire Sprawl trilogy is essentially an updated Frankenstein. The Terminator franchise. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep/Bladerunner. Murderbot, one of my favourite characters in contemporary sci-fi, is essentially a riff on the Monster. And on, and on. I don't think any other work in sci-fi or fantasy has had as much cultural impact. Not even close.

And Mary Shelley was eighteen when she invented it. Mind-blowing.

Frankenstein is possibly one of the best novels, best horror novels and best science fiction novels, so I would strongly agree with this. I remember being surprised at how good it was when I actually read it (my first time was freshman year of high school). Also the characterization of the monster is incredible.

Dioltach

Legend

It's a creature. That's one of the central themes of the book: Victor Frankenstein creates it. He's trying to be God, the Creator.

ETA: Gary Larson understands.

1c2ccfb5fe181af53fd95366bfd2c363.jpg

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
Isn't it Trek fans who claim only every second movie is good ad the TV shows are very mixed in quality and don't get good until season 3;)
That's something of a joke. The third Star Trek movie was The Search for Spock and it was pretty decent. The only original cast movie that has absolutely no merit is Star Trek V. While The Motion Picture was dull as dishwater, the premise was actually good and it could have been great had they cleaned up the script and trimmed out the fat.

Paramount <citation needed> said:
We spent a ton of money on this Enterprise model and the camera is going to spend at least 15 goddamn minutes making love to it.

There were four TNG movies and only one of them, First Contact, was good. The worst one was Insurrection with Nemesis coming in at a close second. I was sad the TNG movies ended on such a disappointing note.

Remove ads