What is the State of WH40K Roleplaying games?

darjr

I crit!
Seeing that there might be a cinematic universe I'm interested in playing again. But it's been a while.

I think the last time I owned or played was the multi chapter Marine book.

Any friendly clue-by-fours if I want to get back into WH40KRPG gaming?

Crusadius

Adventurer
The latest version is published by Cubicle 7 and is called Wrath and Glory. It uses a D6 resolution system and is more action-oriented than grim-dark. You can play anything: Rogue Trader, Space Marine, Eldar Ranger, Ork Boy, etc etc. The releases for the game have been slower than with other WH properties (WFRP, Age of Sigmar: Soulbound).

There is also an upcoming game called Imperium Maledictum (also Cubicle 7) with a system based on WFRP (D100). This game is more investigation-based with characters serving an Inquisitor or member of the ecclesiarchy .

darjr

I crit!
The latest version is published by Cubicle 7 and is called Wrath and Glory. It uses a D6 resolution system and is more action-oriented than grim-dark. You can play anything: Rogue Trader, Space Marine, Eldar Ranger, Ork Boy, etc etc. The releases for the game have been slower than with other WH properties (WFRP, Age of Sigmar: Soulbound).

There is also an upcoming game called Imperium Maledictum (also Cubicle 7) with a system based on WFRP (D100). This game is more investigation-based with characters serving an Inquisitor or member of the ecclesiarchy .
Thanks!

someone pointed out there is a bundle for it now too.

GreyLord

Legend
Seeing that there might be a cinematic universe I'm interested in playing again. But it's been a while.

I think the last time I owned or played was the multi chapter Marine book.

Any friendly clue-by-fours if I want to get back into WH40KRPG gaming?

Wrath and Glory as mentioned above is the currently published RPG for the setting. It's not a bad RPG. I like that everything you need to play is found in one book with all the different races and occupations that you would really need. They cover all the major ones (Space Marine, Imperial Guard, Inquisitor, even Aliens and such).

I prefer the older system which was based off the WHFRPG or used similar rules to it, but that can be expensive and unlike W&G, you didn't have all the various different major areas of roleplaying (Space Marine, Inquisitor, Rogue Trader) in one book, you had to buy multiple and many times they weren't really compatible in many games.

That Humble Bundle looks like a good bargain. I prefer hardcopy, but if you don't mind digital it looks to be an exceptional way to get into the current W&G games.

Rogerd1

Adventurer
I honestly wish that Age of Sigmar: Soulbound and Wrath and Glory used the same system. It would make crossovers so much easier.

Wrath and Glory seems reasonably simple to understand from my read throughs of it.

Weiley31

Legend
The current Humble Bundle deal with Wrath and Glory is probably the best way to get into it if you're interested and don't mind PDFs. A while ago Cubicle 7 did the same thing for Age of Sigmar Soulbound, so it's a pretty damn good deal.

IIRC, for $18 bucks you are pretty much getting EVERYTHING that's currently out for the rpg line except the upcoming Vow of Absolution space marine chapter book (which introduces Tier 5 Archetypes finally), and the recently released Chaos Lord related Wretches of the Writ pdf (which seems to introduce the main big bad for Wrath and Glory).

dagger

Adventurer
Cubicle 7 is dropping a new 40k RPG called Imperium Maledictum but I am not sure when it is coming out, I think in 2023.

Remove ads