• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the Sundering?

Riley

Legend
Supporter
My guess is that... we'll discover that the future is also the past and the Forgotten Realms is a circular history. Thus, the Sundering is the last Realms Shattering Event because it's also the first one.

And apparently, there was a ''Sundering'' in the ancient past of the FR:

Search results for 'sundering'History of the Forgotten Realms

(Might not be news to serious FR fans, but it was news to me. I'd XP you Jeff for probably being right, but I "must spread some..." yada yada yada)

Last edited:

My guess is that something terrible and world destroying will occur as a result of the merging of Abeir and Toril. Great wars and disasters will occur, the two worlds will be separated again, and we'll discover that the future is also the past and the Forgotten Realms is a circular history. Thus, the Sundering is the last Realms Shattering Event because it's also the first one.

Twisted and evil. Are you sure Robert Jordan isn't writing FR backstory? (Aside from his being dead, of course. But that wouldn't be an impediment to the turning of the wheel.)

Pour

First Post
In light of Mearls agreeing that the high-level NPCs hog all the story, drama, and purpose of adventuring, I wonder if the Sundering will also divide the Forgotten Realms from its heavy hitters, aka Drizzt and Elminster are trapped on the other world.

My actual hope is they all die at the end, but yeah, I know...

Best possible ending to the last novel:

"Rocks fall. Everyone dies."

Ed put down his dice, closed his books, and looked at his friends around the table from behind the screen in front of him.

"Well, that's the end," he said. "What do you want to run for our next campaign?"

Last edited:

Dice4Hire

First Post
Best possible ending to the last novel:

"Rocks fall. Everyone dies."

Ed put down his dice, closed his books, and looked at his friends around the table from behind the screen in front of him.

"Well, that's the end," he said. "What do you want to run for our next campaign?"

Better:

"I've got this great idea for something new. Who wants to hear it?"

Ahwe Yahzhe

First Post
In light of Mearls agreeing that the high-level NPCs hog all the story, drama, and purpose of adventuring, I wonder if the Sundering will also divide the Forgotten Realms from its heavy hitters, aka Drizzt and Elminster are trapped on the other world.

Where did Mearls agree that high-level NPC do this? Because it's the most tired fallacy perpetuated by anyone looking for an excuse to hate on the Realms. All of you who STILL whinge about Elminster keeping you from playing meaningful campaigns sure as heck didn't jump into FR when the 4th Edition travesty put a 100-year distance between all the supposed uber-NPCs. If anything, WotC realize what a disaster the "clean slate" Forgotten Realms was and released a decent Neverwinter book with some actual content to it. (Although they are still so traumatized by the uber-NPC accusations apparently they had to make it a Heroic tier-only campaign book.)

So you had your chance to play Forgotten Realms without high-level NPCs, and it was a mess that alienated dedicated Realms fans and failed to attract new players. Why are so many of you still beating this dead horse?

Pour

First Post
@Ahwe Yahzhe It's near the end of the interview I think, after they introduce the Sundering and Pirate mentions the downside of realms-shaking events, high-level NPCs, and the players feeling second fiddle. He did a great job hosting that, btw. I'm not making it up. Mearls agrees, though I wish they panned to Ed's face, probably emoting the equivalent of swallowing bile hehe. It segways into the new Living FR Campaign and the idea that DM reports will be shaping the realms, and the whole idea of 'Your stories are more important than ours".

Edit: For the record, though, I kind of wish they skipped FR for 4e. As you said, the long-times fans love their lore, and the new school doesn't really care. I'd have prefered the Nentir Vale Gazetteer, and another new setting squeezed in that time period.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads