• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the toughest printed creature?

Malachi_rc

First Post
I sit corrected

I think you mean Tome of Horrors, since as far as I know Asmodeus never appears in the actual Tomb...not that that could make it much deadlier than it already is.

Yes, i meant tome of horrors. Stupid similar names. Still, its a great book, with many princes and the hells. And just for pants wetting goodness against a party, you have him show up (maybe change the name so they'll recognize it, Lucifer or Satan) and just toy with them.

Last edited:

If you go to other editions... Immortals set established that the only planets capable of supporting sentient life were actually living beings (megaliths?). Spelljammer's starbeasts (e.g. the turtle on whose back the Earth rests) were also living beings.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Brother MacLaren said:
If you go to other editions... Immortals set established that the only planets capable of supporting sentient life were actually living beings (megaliths?).

Was that in Wrath of the Immortals?

Spelljammer's starbeasts (e.g. the turtle on whose back the Earth rests) were also living beings.

Likewise, I don't recall where these beasts were. For a tough Spellhammer monster though, the Constellate, from the SJ MC II, was tens of millions of miles in area, and its force blasts increased in damage based on its total area. It said in there that at usual power, they could easily smash planets.

Alzrius said:
Was that in Wrath of the Immortals?
One of the gold books. I never saw Wrath.

Alzrius said:
Likewise, I don't recall where these beasts were. For a tough Spellhammer monster though, the Constellate, from the SJ MC II, was tens of millions of miles in area, and its force blasts increased in damage based on its total area. It said in there that at usual power, they could easily smash planets.
Starbeasts weren't in a Spelljammer MC - they were in the main Spelljammer campaign setting book in a sidebar, I think. Not every planet had them, and they weren't really statted out IIRC. It was just stated that they were immensely huge, made out of the same material as the crystal spheres, and literally carried the world in their hands (or tentacles).

Li Shenron

Legend
In Green Ronin's "Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts" there was a creature called The Monkey who had CR = no hope, but since I don't know which were its actual stats, I cannot say what is that equivalent to... :p

Frilf

Explorer
Li Shenron said:
In Green Ronin's "Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts" there was a creature called The Monkey who had CR = no hope, but since I don't know which were its actual stats, I cannot say what is that equivalent to... :p

Yes, the Monkey King has a CR of "No Hope". Interesting. Very powerful critter. Forgot about him :eek:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Frilf said:
Yes, the Monkey King has a CR of "No Hope". Interesting. Very powerful critter. Forgot about him :eek:

I was under the impression that this thread was just for D&D/TSR/WotC printed creatures. :confused:

Frilf

Explorer
Alzrius said:
I was under the impression that this thread was just for D&D/TSR/WotC printed creatures. :confused:

You are right, mighty Alzrius. Maybe that's why I "forgot" about the Monkey King. :eek:

DOH!

MarauderX

Explorer
Gotta say printed is the Dieties & Demigods. They start out as CR 30 outsiders, then add another 40 levels from the core classes. Add on the god-feats to alter reality, antimagic, and other fluffy insta-death/life stuff and mortals got something to be at least worried about, jealous of, or future goals to be. Orcus, Asmodeous and their peers can't compete with the gods printed their.

Anyone know of other good threads on epic challenges?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads