D&D 5E What is Your Character's Back Story?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I was just working on my next character, and a thought popped into my mind... What kind of characters does the community create, and what are those characters' back stories?

So, given the current character you're playing (or the last character you played, if you're not currently playing)—who are they, and what's their story?

User_Undefined

First Post
Here's the monk I made for a medieval setting game that wrapped up.

The Helders Samuel and Cassandra were a highly skilled hunter and trapper team. They disappeared one winter while out hunting and their bodies were never found, leaving their only daughter, Alyxandra, behind. She was taken in by Mother Gram, who quickly put her to work.

Originally, Alyx was the town’s unofficial delivery girl whenever someone needed one of Mother Gram’s treatments. One of those was Malik, a boy not much younger than her who was under the care of Father Dake and his acolyte Amatus. She would often deliver his medicine and then sit with him and talk.

As she grew older, she began to chafe under Mother Gram and started to look elsewhere to live and work. She ended up following Branigan around for three days until he finally let her come on a hunt. After returning, the old dwarf told her that she had “her father’s eye and her mother’s memory” and allowed her to join future hunting parties. She eventually became one of his best tree mappers, a subset of the hunters who spend more time in the trees trying to keep tabs on the migration patterns of the forest's denizens than actually hunting. They also serve as forward scouts, though the need for that skillset hasn’t arisen in decades. It was here that she met Kevin, a lumberjack turned hunter. They get along well, trading barbs about him cutting trees and her being an orphan. Both of them understand what it means to not have a "real" family. Together, are one of the first pairs Branigan calls when he needs something done.

There are three days in her life that she will never forget. The first is the day her parents vanished. The second is when she was 7 and playing hide and search with some of the other village children. Thinking she was very clever, she decided to hide in the abandoned temple. If everyone thought it was cursed, no one would ever look for her there. When she snuck in, it felt like there was a different energy inside. Old stone was completely overgrown with vines and other plant life. It felt like the forest itself was trying to claw back what had been taken from it. While hiding, she stumbled upon an old necklace with a bird’s skull on it. It wasn’t until much later that she discovered if she focused on it, she was able to cast magic. While the spells aren’t anything like what’s in Father Dake’s sermons, it made her feel special and she began learning as much about Koed, God of the Forest, as she could. The third day was when she was 17. A noble was passing through town during a festival and decided to spend the day in Corkirk. Alyx had just returned from a hunting trip and saw the young man lambasting the innkeep about the quality of his stew. She walked up to the noble, dropped her bloody kill onto his lap, and said that if he was going to complain about it, he might as well make his own meal. It was after this that she learned the man was a noble, but she didn’t back down and wondered out loud if he could cook, or if he had to order his servants to do everything for him. The noble stood up and drew a sword, and that’s when Alyx realized just how big a mistake she made. She sprinted out of town and hid in the forest for two weeks just to make sure the noble had left. Since then, she’s gotten better about choosing her words, but sometimes she still doesn’t think about who she’s talking to before saying what’s on her mind.

While not a regular patron, she's known by face and by name at the tavern for its regular fight tournaments where she consistently makes it to the later rounds and has occasionally won against opponents much bigger and stronger than her.
Alyx was a lot of fun to play. I've actually brought her back as an NPC of a mountain monastery in the other game I'm in.

And my warlock that specifically didn't make a deal to get his powers, but had them literally thrust into him.
Chandris was the son of a whitesmith. Most of his father's work came from the local lord, though occasionally a wizard or fiend hunter would commission a ward or binding circle. Chandris was discovered to have some minor talent for magic when he accidentally melted a pewter ring he was helping with when he was 5. Thought to be more sorcerous in origin than wizardly, Chandris stayed with his family and tried to learn to work magic into his father's creations.

When he was 11, his town was attacked and he was captured. A wizard among the captors noticed his talent and claimed rights to him. Claiming that she was trying to discover the Pathway of Magic, the wizard bound him in chains that suppressed his ability to call upon magic and ran experiments on Chandris for months while using him as a manservant. This finally culminated with the wizard strapping Chandris down within a binding circle and summoning a fiend, using Chandris' body as a medium. For a week, the wizard interrogated the fiend, until another captor made a mistake and bent the binding circle. When the wizard tried to question the fiend that night, it broke the circle and killed her. Using Chandris' body as a puppet, the fiend razed the whole encampment. As it was leaving, it stepped over a wagon wheel. Summoning as much power as he could, Chandris turned the wheel into an impromptu binding circle. Caught off guard, the fiend vanished from Chandris' mind and he passed out.

He awoke among the dying embers of his prison to a small pup licking his face. Chandris now had ritual-looking sigils burned into his back and neck, but he couldn't hear the fiend. He gathered what he could and began traveling back to his home. On the third night he began to see the spirits. Some were victims of circumstance like him. Some were power-hungry and wicked. There were stable hands and kings, bandits and knights, court jesters and arch-mages. Either way, they had all fallen under or to the power of the fiend that had possessed Chandris.

When he finally arrived to his home, it was filled with strangers. After the attack that had taken him away, another lord had taken residence in the castle. Overcome with grief, Chandris knelt in front of what had once been his family's home and screamed. He felt the sigils on his body heat and glow before fire exploded around him. As he looked through the flames, he saw villagers staring at him with fear and mistrust. Reacting, he fled the town before they could gather the courage to chase him. As he ran, he heard in the whispers of his mind the sound of a fiend chuckling. Knowing that whatever happened on that wagon wheel did not excise the fiend, Chandris has spent his life searching for a way to rid himself of this dark influence, occasionally seeking advice from the spirits of those already lost.
Chandris has had a lot of character development I did not expect since I first thought of him. He (and myself, if we're honest) has no idea who or what the Fiend was, or what it wants. For lack of a better metaphor, all of the Fiend's knowledge is locked in his brain. As he levels up, he is decrypting bits of that knowledge, which manifest as the warlock abilities. Originally, he was made for a oneshot going through the Mines of Madness. I had some extra gold left over, so I gave him a mastiff as a pet. Tiberon has morphed into a sort of literal guardian angel for him once I joined the DMs actual campaign. Think Mouse from the Dresden Files. He helps keep Chandris from completely falling to the Fiend. Chandris still doesn't completely understand what Tiberon is, but mechanically, we've replaced the Dark One's Luck ability from the Fiend patron with the UA Hexblade's shadow hound one after Tiberon transferred his shadow to Chandris after Chandris asked him to stay at the monastery he spent several months at to try to gain better control of the Fiend's tendencies to guard his almost girlfriend. He's also become the magical researcher of our group somehow. I'm still not sure when that happened, but he has Eyes of the Rune Keeper as an invocation and I'm pretty sure he knows the most number of languages out of the entire party (Common, Abyssal, Infernal, Elvish, Orcish, Primordial). Oh, and he's reverse engineered gunpowder from studying the mechanics behind casting Fireball and a prototype musket we found in the basement of an insane wizard among other "failed" inventions (Dust of Dryness when it was supposed to make things wet, etc.). He and the Arcane Archer have started a gunsmith business and are selling to the town militia, the Magic University of the continent, and are currently working on making inroads to the city with an entire warrior caste of dragonborn. He's also been inducted into the Guild of the Quill and Scroll. Imagine if Nathan Drake, Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, Daniel Jackson, et al formed a guild, and you have an idea of what the guild and its members do.

If you're curious, that Pathway of Magic the wizard was trying to figure out? It's basically atomic theory but for magic. According to our DM, we've made it up to the plum pudding model.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I am playing Hades (pronounced as if you put a hard H in front of AIDS... it part of a thing we are doing where all characters and mispronounced Greek gods) the Barbarian. A Zealous Path is what he follows. Hailing from the Hellion Steppes, his tribe is part of the kingdom ruled by the Hallowed City of Wygate. It is tradition for these men to take up service to the God Vancer (a Lord of War) and join the Holy Warriors of Wygate in 'converting' its neighbors. Hades is no exception. Wielding his mighty Glaive, he helped cut a righteous path through the enemies of Wygate, and Vancer. When the Holy Wars ended (typically a short recess to hostilities) he chose wanderlust rather than returning to the simple life of the Steppes.

On his travels is where he heard the call to assist the fortress city of Gahma's Hold. Issued by one of the lands powerful Marshals, warriors and enforcers of peace and justice. Once arrived, he was thrown into combat against a horde of Gnolls. He forged a friendship with others he fought beside, and they continue to adventure, currently in the service of the Marshals.

As you can probably tell by our party's naming convention, this game doesn't take itself too seriously, so there wasn't a lot of need for in depth backstory. Another player Character's backstory thus far was... From the woods. That is all she will tell us. Not even which woods. She is a very odd Wild Sorcerer. Keep in mind as well, none of the stuff mentioned in my backstory was pre-established. So it is a pretty open world that the players are able to co-build. I have had others, that were more in detail, but I get to play so seldom.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
"Hi, I've Glanvar, a Dwarf Wizard! Where am I from? Oh, it's just a little dwarf-hold, I doubt you've heard of it... No not that one, further out. Not that one either. Look, it's a hole in a mountain. Does it matter? What's important is what we're going to do together not where we came from!"

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I usually have 2-3 pages of backstory to establish character and hooks, working in elements (geographical, etc.) that the DM's let us know about the setting. Though I've been more upfront when running about players giving less and then filling in more details after tehy start play and "find the voice" of their PCs.

A nifty thing I came across for backgrounds is called "Knife Theory" - it's about giving the DM hooks. https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/775caq/my_friends_and_i_have_something_called_knife/

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Our table rule is that you keep your backstory about the length of a tweet, then establish adventures you took with two other PCs in the group with a mention of the trinket you rolled randomly. Subsequent details can be established during play. Nobody wants to read a book and my experience has been that the longer the backstory, the less it comes up in play. Many players just leave it all on the page and are fairly mute at the table.

So here's my current character in Tomb of Annihilation. PC names are in bold. I got two trinkets due to having the Archaeologist background.

A professor of history and member in good standing of the Wayfarers' Guild, Professor Hezekiah Ford, Jr. - known more commonly as Iriaebor Ford - teaches in Waterdeep and occasionally goes on sabbatical to exotic lands in search of ancient relics to preserve for posterity.

Iriaebor Ford and the druid Harbbrak once raided a dig site in a forested hill and recovered the Bark of the Covenant, an obscure artifact created by the Seldarine. This is where Iriae also found a mysterious glass orb filled with moving smoke.

Hezekiah Ford, Sr. and Iriaebor Ford were on an expedition to find the legendary Holy Flail and battled Yahtzee's the whole way. They found the flail but could not recover it. However, Iriae did take an ornate scabbard that fits no blade he has found so far from the deathless knight that guarded the Holy Flail.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I typically don't do much beyond the traits, ideals, bonds, flaws, and anything else the background might spell out, except to answer the question "Why did I become an adventurer?"

If my DM want's more hooks, I am flexible though. And I don't mind winging it later on i the campaign if my DM pulls a fast one like "It's your long lost Father! What do you do?"

It's more fun to just roll with it.

tardigrade

Explorer
As a DM, I expect a short paragraph but don't insist on it, and encourage them to run ideas by me so we can tie details to My players are fairly new to D&D and we're playing (roughly) a published campaign (SKT), although I'm modifying it more than they've realised, so some of them haven't really realised that I'm willing to build background details into adventures.

As a player I try to stick to the same - a few lines to tie background, class and race together and give the DM a few hooks. My only current character is a winged tiefling fighter-rogue who was originally bodyguard to a Red Wizard until he was convinced by a group of adventurers to join them and turn on his former employer. He then captained an airship raiding Zhent slave caravans for a few years before the Time of Troubles - during the 'blackout' his ship crashed but, having nonmagical flight, he was the sole survivor.

My other character was a fairly vanilla dwarf bard - he and his brother were among the few escapees from a dwarfhold overrun by (DM's choice). They grew up as refugee orphans on the streets of Calimshan. He fell in with a thieves' guild; his brother became a paladin, led an expedition back to their homeland last year, but has not been heard of since. He was invited to go but bottled it and now feels guilty about abandoning his big brother. He's now trying to keep the tales of his homeland alive while recruiting adventurers to go and find out what happened to the last guys.

Some bits in both for DMs to run with if they want, but neither did so that's as far as they went. Both were still fun to play though.

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
Current PC is a halfling thief out of the south, but spent the last few years in Waterdeep. He is a member of the cartographers guild and sponsored by one of the noble families to explore around Phandalin for proof on the rumors of the family's holdings around the town. The noble family sent him to the town where he arrived with just enough money to get buy for a few days at his comfortable lifestyle so he needed to take on some adventures to gain coin and knowledge of the surroundings. For their part, the nobles have learned about the opening of Wave Echo Mine last year and wish to establish holdings in the area to capitalize on it.

One of the other characters is an indentured servant/slave captured in battle, but saved from death. He owes his master money to buy his freedom and constantly squirrels cash aside to send to his master. He was send out on his own to make money because of his absolute honesty. He wears a badge of his servitude that he will not take off until his freedom is bought.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
My current and longest-running character is called Maître du Donjon, and this is his backstory: 23 years ago, I realized that nobody was doing with the Dungeons & Dragons game what I felt could be done with it. So I began paying as Maître, which allowed me to play every kind of character I could ever imagine, in environments customized by me for their specific talents and interests.

Occasionally I wish I could play a different role, and on extremely rare occasions I get the chance, but it's mostly been Maître du Donjon.

Remove ads