• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your favorite character or party activity in a game?

So, what would be your favorite character or party activity in a game setting?

• Dungeoncrawls

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Conspiracy & Intrigue

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • Espionage

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Covert Ops ("shadowruns")

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • War (as a soldier)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • War (as a leader)

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Resistance (in the style of Midnight)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Trade (travels, caravans, buying & selling stuff)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Exploration

• Colonization

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Crime (smugglers, thieves, yakuza, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fighting Crime (cops, superheroes, paladins)

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • Survival (post-apocalypse, invasion, plague, etc.)

• Killing people and taking their stuff (adventurers)

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • something completely different (please explain)

The Cardinal

First Post
...some settings are way cool and earn much praise, but they neglect to tell the potential players what to do in this particular world (e.g. Blue Planet) - others are pretty straightforward in presenting one or two "main activities" for players characters (Shadowrun, Midnight, Werewolf, Conspiracy X)...

So, what would be your favorite character or party activity in a game setting?

diaglo

Adventurer
as a rogue i like to steal.

as a ranger i like to explore the wilderness.

as a halfling i like to travel.

as an adventurer i like to test my limits.

so i like elements of all of the above as they play a part in my character as a whole. i am the sum of my parts. :D

Psion

Adventurer
Missing a big category, one that AFAIAC is more central to D&D than dungeon crawls, but dungeons can be a stop along the path:

Quests.

The Cardinal

First Post
Psion said:
Missing a big category, one that AFAIAC is more central to D&D than dungeon crawls, but dungeons can be a stop along the path:

Quests.

but quests, while often being the focus of single adventures or campaigns, are IIRC never the primary focus of activity in a whole game setting - it's hard to see how they could be.
All the rest OTOH are easy to insert as "themes" into a campaign world.

MarauderX

Explorer
how about most of the above? I find as a DM I switch it up so no one, me especially, gets bored with having the same thing session to session.

Harlock

First Post
Despite all those choices, this poll is just a bit too narrow for all that I want my games to encompass. I like my games to have a lot of what you've listed and more. Heck, sometimes you can combine certain elements listed above easily within one session, not as a game setting. I think that's part of the D&D appeal to me. Each game can be different even within a setting or campaign. Sometimes it's fun to go dungeon delving. Sometimes it's fun to explore new areas. Sometimes it's fun just to roleplay in a Kingly Court for an entire session trying to sway potential allies and upstage the bad guys. :)

Wombat

First Post
Personally I like getting To Know The People In My Neighborhood :)

Oh, and finding out about ancient mysteries

Killing is always a very low, low priority, as is gaining treasure -- they happen along the way, but are not something I seek out as a player.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads