• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your most trivial house rule?

The Shaman

First Post
I added three skills from the 3.5 SRD to my Modern house rules: Appraise, Knowledge (local), and Use Rope.

No one ever takes Appraise....

I also changed Knowledge (tactics) to Knowledge (military science) and added Craft (culinary arts) - the former is well-received, the latter hasn't been tried yet.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
I changed the disabled, dying, and dead thresholds to be, respectively, 0 to -(Con mod), < -(Con mod) to > Constitution, Constitution. So someone with a Con of 17 is disabled at 0 to -3, dying from -4 to -16, and dead at -17. I stole this from Arcana Unearthed.

No, it's not a minor change, but seeing as I have only four house rules, it is the least significant change.

I highly recommend this rule, BTW. It requires, at most, one extra entry in a stat block, and it goes a long way toward PC survival. It's worked out very well for us.

Ourph

First Post
palleomortis said:
Wait, Am I saying it wrong? How do you say GYGAX?

The GY sounds like "guy". I have one player who grew up saying it "JYGAX" and another who grew up saying it "GEEGAX". Even though both know better now, they still do it all the time. I really should change that "lose 1 XP" rule to "lose $1.00". I'd be rich (or lonely)! ;)

Gruns

Explorer
Most trivial?

Hmm...
Most trivial (especially since we have no dwarves):
Dwarf Clerics are proficient with Warhammers.

Later!
Gruns

P.S.: How now, brown Drow? Sim-a-tar, Ky-mare-uh, Guy-gaks

TBoarder

Explorer
HellHound said:
Gather Information costs 1 gp / 2 levels of the character

How about making the cost equal the total rolled (d20+skill ranks+mods...) in gp? That way there's more of a correlation of price to information received. "Hey, you got a great roll and got some great information, hence the extra cost..."

Remove ads