• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

My problem with any M:tG based D&D setting is that Spellcasting works FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENTLY between the systems. Any even semi-accurate model of MtG casting in D&D will break all the rest of the math in the game. Any functional D&D game shoehorns MtG casters including planeswalkers into D&D Pseudo-Vancian casting.

It's just not a good fit.

MtG is about planeswalkers of immense power, who have a very particular form of magic that draws power from the land. In their endless battles they pass through many worlds, including Ravnica, in pretty much the same way Japanese tourists pass through London.

I.e. Planeswalkers and MtG magic is not really a part of Ravnica.

Last edited:

gyor

Legend
MtG is about planeswalkers of immense power, who have a very particular form of magic that draws power from the land. In their endless battles they pass through many worlds, including Ravnica, in pretty much the same way Japanese tourists pass through London.

I.e. Planeswalkers and MtG magic is not really a part of Ravnica.

Reading the first Ravnica novel and comparing it to reading past MtG novels, nothing screams MtG so far aside from some magic items made of mana.

akr71

Hero
I expected Spelljammer or Planescape, not this - I voted neutral.

I don't play MtG and have no interest in this book, however I am not going to hate on Hasbro or WotC for trying to grow the game I love. I may end up buying it if I think I can use content elsewhere.

In hindsight, this was a smart move by WotC. Leverage your own IP to create a new product and revamp on old setting without using any inhouse resources.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Reading the first Ravnica novel and comparing it to reading past MtG novels, nothing screams MtG so far aside from some magic items made of mana.

Most D&D novels suck, but some are good.
The 1st MtG novel I find that is good wins the prize.

sunrisekid

Explorer
I think the product makes sense. Big IP for both from the same company, lots of cross-over consumers, same basic fantasy genre. Why not make something for which there will probably be a good return?

As for recycling old material, leave that to the secondary, add-on market and focus on making new material (implicitly: let the add-on market grow and address all that old material sitting there unused). Even if they did re-release older settings there would likely be a loud, vocal minority shitting on it for failing to address X, Y, and/or Z issues. I say cut WotC some slack.

guachi

Hero
I chose disappointed.

There's no adventured tied to the setting on the horizon. I don't actually care about MtG lore despite the fact that, until recently, I played. And any of the limited resources put towards this book are resources not put towards something else.

I am, however, excited about Eberron. I never played 3e or 4e and own zero Eberron stuff so an updated setting book by the guy who created it is tempting.

EDIT: Giving five points for "Very Excited" down to one point for "Very Disappointed" at the time of this post the average score for the 203 votes is 3.06, or barely above neutral.

Carlsen Chris

Explorer
MtG isn't D&D, which has plenty of settings waiting in the wings. This is a total cash grab by Hasbro, and should be boycotted. (Can you tell that I voted Very Disappointed?)

Mod Edit: “I strongly disagree.”

~ that’s how to convey disagreement with the position without being disagreeable. Please keep it civil.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
EDIT: Giving five points for "Very Excited" down to one point for "Very Disappointed" at the time of this post the average score for the 203 votes is 3.06, or barely above neutral.

If you think of it as an approval rating, 35.4% approve and 27.8% disapprove, with a net positive approval of 7.6%.

Definitely certain that ENWorld is not a great representative sample (I'd say we come much closer to the D&D demographics of the 80's than the one of today) so it's not worth much beyond an amusing anecdote. We'll get a better idea of how popular this is truly going to be once we start seeing Amazon sales numbers.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
OK fair enough - 11 months in it for the Tragic the Spending version - but as an idea for a gameworld for D&D...

I should have been clearer however, so my bad.

Well... it wasn't published until now, but as first as I read about Ravnica I thought "this would be a neat place to run a D&D game" - and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

As far as a large city as a D&D setting, the idea probably predates both...

Remove ads