What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
5E is getting a new setting this fall: Ravnica, which originates from Magic: the Gathering. What is your reaction?

Ed Laprade

First Post
MtG isn't D&D, which has plenty of settings waiting in the wings. This is a total cash grab by Hasbro, and should be boycotted. (Can you tell that I voted Very Disappointed?)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Its not for me so I'm not worked up for it. I'm DM'ing in old settings using old rules and don't really get into MtG or the apparently magitech* type feel of the artwork. Hopefully its up to par for fans of the setting.

*And yes I hate tinker gnomes too.

Kite474

Explorer
I am ecstatic! I absolutely adore Ravnica and have tired nailing down running D&D in it and this is just perfect!

Also, Praise Selesyna!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I went from a shrug to an excited the more I learned about the setting. I don't know that I'll ever play it but I'll buy it and mine it for ideas at a bare minimum.

ccs

41st lv DM
Personally, mostly neutral.

I'll browse through it once it arrives to the local shop. If it looks interesting/usefull I'll pick it up. If it doesn't I won't.

What I really want is a D&D based MTG set.... I've wanted that since the day WoTC bought out TSR. I doubt I'll ever get that though.

MarkB

Legend
I've never played Magic: The Gathering, and haven't the first clue about the lore.

That said, the setting sounds intriguing at the very least, and potentially very interesting. A hyper-urban setting, with lots of factions, and seemingly a bit of a Steampunk vibe? I'm pretty much sold based upon the general description and cover alone.

I'm very glad that Eberron's getting some love, as it's a favourite setting of mine, but even before that announcement, when people were speculating that Ravnica was going to be the only major setting release, I still found it an interesting concept, and was looking forward to exploring it.

Ultimately, if WotC can pick up this big chunk of developed lore that they have effectively just sitting there, and use it to deliver a fully fleshed-out setting that is effectively new and unseen to most D&D players, that's an economy of resources that I can respect - and if the finished product is a setting I can use and enjoy, where exactly is the downside?

thundershot

Adventurer
Disappointed that we’re not getting Spelljammer or Dark Sun yet. If there’s interesting races in it I might borrow them for my own world.

Remove ads