• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What Magic: the Gathering setting would you like to see next?

Which M:tG setting would you like to see next?

• Alara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amonkhet

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Capenna

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Dominaria

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Eldraine

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Ikoria

• Innistrad

• Ixalan

• Kaladesh

• Kaldheim

• Kamigawa

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Lorwyn-Shadowmoor

• Mercadia

• New Phyrexia

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Rabiah

• Tarkir

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Ulgrotha

• Zendikar

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Poll closed .

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Huh, I must be more or of the loop than I thought! The last block I really played was Theros. :-/
I jumped off the train of new material myself after Adventures in the Forgotten Realms, which I played the heck out of and burned out a bit.

Kamigawa got revived as a far future magitech cyberpunk setting with a lot of Anime influences...significantly more unique than the original.

Muso

Explorer
I don't want to see any MtG setting in D&D anymore. It's just a waste of resources that can be used for other D&D settings.

Yaarel

He Mage
I don't want to see any MtG setting in D&D anymore. It's just a waste of resources that can be used for other D&D settings.
Because MtG settings are newer, it is easier for them to avoid sensitive issues.

Unfortunately, many fans of an earlier setting like less updating anything about it, even if for ethical reasons.

For example, a prominent minority of Tolkien fans are abusively trolling the Rings of Power tv series, because it includes Black actors for some of its elves and hobbits. Elves are nonhuman and can look whatever way. It is difficult for me understand the upset.

It is too easy to imagine something similar if a 5e Greyhawk revamps the occasionally troubling content.

CrashFiend82

Explorer
Personally I prefer the MTG settings they released more than a number of the older settings, simply because they come with so little baggage. As a bonus most feel very POL, which allows me to add other ideas. I will likely never use FR or Greyhawk material again because I find those settings limited compared to the modern Fantasy novels I enjoy.

Remathilis

Legend
Considering we've had Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Eberron, Dragonlance and next year Planescape, I think classic D&D settings are well represented compared to three MTG settings (Ravnica, Theros, Strixhaven). At this point, we're only missing a proper Greyhawk and Dark Sun to round out the classic TSR line. Plus, poaching art from MTG cards lowers the cost of design significantly.

Haplo781

Legend
Considering we've had Forgotten Realms, Spelljammer, Ravenloft, Eberron, Dragonlance and next year Planescape, I think classic D&D settings are well represented compared to three MTG settings (Ravnica, Theros, Strixhaven). At this point, we're only missing a proper Greyhawk and Dark Sun to round out the classic TSR line. Plus, poaching art from MTG cards lowers the cost of design significantly.
Mystara.

Yaarel

He Mage
I love riffing off of reallife cultures.

I wish there is a way to do this well.

Ideally, only artists (and more than one) from a community create the content representing that community.

For clarification, members of a community include "immigrants" who the community adopts into it. But it needs to be community members who make the content.

Remathilis

Legend
Even as a fan of Mystara (I started there in the Basic days) I'm hard-pressed to come up with enough to justify it with Forgotten Realms, Exandria and Greyhawk all filling the kitchen sink niche. I think the best we'd see is some anthology of B/X adventures using Karameikos as a backdrop.

Haplo781

Legend
Even as a fan of Mystara (I started there in the Basic days) I'm hard-pressed to come up with enough to justify it with Forgotten Realms, Exandria and Greyhawk all filling the kitchen sink niche. I think the best we'd see is some anthology of B/X adventures using Karameikos as a backdrop.
Savage Coast/Red Steel. Vermeil-induced mutation could be used to justify superhuman martials. Could also introduce a proper epic progression under the guise of immortals.

Last edited:

Remove ads