• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What Magic: the Gathering setting would you like to see next?

Which M:tG setting would you like to see next?

• Alara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amonkhet

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Capenna

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Dominaria

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Eldraine

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • Ikoria

• Innistrad

• Ixalan

• Kaladesh

• Kaldheim

• Kamigawa

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Lorwyn-Shadowmoor

• Mercadia

• New Phyrexia

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Rabiah

• Tarkir

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Ulgrotha

• Zendikar

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Poll closed .

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Even as a fan of Mystara (I started there in the Basic days) I'm hard-pressed to come up with enough to justify it with Forgotten Realms, Exandria and Greyhawk all filling the kitchen sink niche. I think the best we'd see is some anthology of B/X adventures using Karameikos as a backdrop.
And Goodman Games has already done a bunch of the B/X adventures (B1+2, B4, X1, X2).

Remathilis

Legend
Savage Coast/Red Steel. Vermeil-induced mutation could be used to justify superhuman martials. Could also introduce a proper epic progression under the guise of immortals.
Hmm. Call me old fashioned, but I forget Red Steel is a Mystara product because to me Mystara is the Known World + Hollow World since that's what the Basic line focused on. It would be like making a new Dragonlance book and only focusing on Taladas, or the 2024 Forgotten Realms setting focus on the Old Empires; yes that's part of those worlds but not the primary part.

To me, Mystara is a setting of vaguely Earth-analogy kingdoms existing on the surface of some rather gonzo fantasy just below. It's a little bit Faerun (here in fantasy Not-Egypt), a little bit Eberron (we're taking an airship to get there) and while it does this well, I can't help but think it doesn't stand out in either.

What I would say, again based on its life as a BECMI/2e era setting, is that it is the most positive setting in terms of tone. It's not a setting of demon lords and strange cults, it's a setting where the bbegs are wizards, dragons and undead. Ignoring Wrath of the Immortals, the metaplot was fairly limited and it has its own high level area for adventures in domain management. It's a setting of bright colors, and that might be appealing to modern audiences.

Ultimately though, while I do love the simple charm of Mystara, I don't think it has a strong enough hook.

Muso

Explorer
Because MtG settings are newer, it is easier for them to avoid sensitive issues.

Unfortunately, many fans of an earlier setting like less updating anything about it, even if for ethical reasons.

For example, a prominent minority of Tolkien fans are abusively trolling the Rings of Power tv series, because it includes Black actors for some of its elves and hobbits. Elves are nonhuman and can look whatever way. It is difficult for me understand the upset.

It is too easy to imagine something similar if a 5e Greyhawk revamps the occasionally troubling content.
You misunderstood me. I don't want to see MtG settings in D&D because I don't like MtG at all :) . I would like to see some old settings (Dark Sun and Birthright or the rest of the FR), but also completely new settings. But absolutely no more crossovers between MtG and D&D :)

Regarding the sensitive issues part, the Forgotten Realms are absolutely inclusive: there is almost anything inside them. I would have a new version of the FR setting out of the Sword Coast (the Chult part in Tomb of Annihilation was very nice in my opinion).

Finally, I agree with you regarding the Rings of Power. I would like to read criticism (whether positive or negative) on the quality of the stories, the characters or the actors' acting. In particular, I would like to understand whether the series sticks to the spirit of Tolkien's stories. Who cares about the ethnicity of the actors? It is a fantasy world. But I think we're getting off topic. I wrote this just to clarify the point.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You misunderstood me. I don't want to see MtG settings in D&D because I don't like MtG at all :) . I would like to see some old settings (Dark Sun and Birthright or the rest of the FR), but also completely new settings. But absolutely no more crossovers between MtG and D&D :)
Well, that Rubicon has been crossed already, and it led to big bucks for Hasbro...so that's never going back.

Muso

Explorer
Well, that Rubicon has been crossed already, and it led to big bucks for Hasbro...so that's never going back.
I know and in fact I fear we will see more MtG settings in D&D, but if it were up to me.... :)
Although I don't know if MtG's settings are among the best-selling manuals in 5E. Do you have any information on this?

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
The fact that we got more than 1 suggests an answer.
Yes, however, if Theros and Strixhaven each had statistically significant drop offs in sales compared to other D&D settings, adventures, and/or supplements, they may have initially decided it was worthwhile to keep churning them out but may have since tacked the other direction.

I’m not sure, though personally I loved All three…

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I know and in fact I fear we will see more MtG settings in D&D, but if it were up to me.... :)
Although I don't know if MtG's settings are among the best-selling manuals in 5E. Do you have any information on this?
According to Amazon rankings, the M:tG campaign settings fall in the middle:

Ravenloft: #1,715 in Books, #15 in Dungeons & Dragons
Eberron: #3,162 in Books, #21 in Dungeons & Dragons
Strixhaven: #6,821 in Books, #35 in Dungeons & Dragons
Theros: #8,255 in Books, #38 in Dungeons & Dragons
Ravnica: #10,978 in Books, #47 in Dungeons & Dragons
Wildemount: #17,369 in Books, #61 in Dungeons & Dragons
Acquisitions, Inc.: #20,361 in Books, #67 in Dungeons & Dragons

Muso

Explorer
According to Amazon rankings, the M:tG campaign settings fall in the middle:

Ravenloft: #1,715 in Books, #15 in Dungeons & Dragons
Eberron: #3,162 in Books, #21 in Dungeons & Dragons
Strixhaven: #6,821 in Books, #35 in Dungeons & Dragons
Theros: #8,255 in Books, #38 in Dungeons & Dragons
Ravnica: #10,978 in Books, #47 in Dungeons & Dragons
Wildemount: #17,369 in Books, #61 in Dungeons & Dragons
Acquisitions, Inc.: #20,361 in Books, #67 in Dungeons & Dragons
Thanks
So the old settings are performing better than the MtG and new settings (even if Acquisitions, Inc. is not a setting in the strict way). Good news to me :)

Remove ads