• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

What is your reaction to the Ravnica news?

• Very Excited

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Excited

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Neutral

Votes: 75 39.9%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 31 16.5%
  • Very Disappointed

Votes: 19 10.1%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Hmm, options.

They just introduce Eberron. I'd be good with that. Really want to get away from both the specifics and the feel of the Forgotten Realms. 4 stars.

Introduce Eberron and something new. The bad side is they are taking effort and time away from Eberron. And that if they only do a partial-effort job on each it may have poor financial return which would not be good for more settings or for those of us happy with 5e. Or they might each only capture a smaller segment of the market. Either also means probably few/no follow-up products if the core setting underperforms. 3 stars.

Introduce Eberron, a M:tG world, and talk about wanting to monetize D&D in eSports. This has all of the problems of splitting attention (both designer and consumer) between two settings, with the additional worry about M:tG being a competitive game with higher profits and leadership seeming to want to head in that direction. 2 stars.

Introduce Eberron and a new setting search like what produced Eberron in the first case. This would have only one setting occupying designer and consume attention at a time, while firing up player interest and involvement and giving them somethign completely new down the road that already has engagement and buy-in from the gaming crowd. 5 stars.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
I am very excited about Ravnica.

Regarding Magic: The Gathering, I consider the 5 color system elegant. Yet I know little about the narrative lore.

Regarding Ravnica, the more I look into it, the more appealing it seems.

I appreciate how Ravinca seems to be one of the planes where the religions are more abstract and the polytheism seems negligible. If so, for me that is a breath of fresh air.

Meanwhile, the urban, magepunk, multicultural flavor sounds awesome.

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Much work and financial resources go into the research-storytelling-design-and-development of the Magic: The Gathering game.

I am glad, D&D can now benefit from these as well.

I consider myself pretty indifferent to it. Whatever new settings Wizards does or doesn't release, in the grand scheme of things, mean very little to me... While I've seen a fair bit of "the sky is falling" from folks online, talking about how this means D&D is "going downhill", I can't see anything damaging 5e as long as the three core books stay the same. I have my Player's Handbook, my Monster Manual, and my Dungeon Master's Guide, so D&D 5e can never be "tainted" to me. I am under no obligation to fold in additional material they publish, if I don't fancy it. I have no interest in picking up Ravnica, but I applaud Wizards' attempt to draw the Magic fanbase into the D&D fold. More roleplayers is always a good thing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I called myself neutral. I have not followed or played M:tG for many years now. I don't know what Ravnica is, nor does this make me curious about it.

I am not disappointed. I wasn't looking for a new setting from them. Do one, or not, makes no difference to me. Someone may like it, and that's okay.

Which makes the furor around this seem really strange. I mean, folks, it's a setting. Use it. Don't use it. It is a game book. It isn't worth the drama.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I started neutral, but as I read more about the setting i've moved to excited. It seems a really interesting setting and I want to know more.

Dausuul

Legend
About time we got a setting that wasn't picking over previous editions. I look forward to seeing what they do with it.

Ravnica isn't really my jam, thematically speaking; I like lonely wilderness, crumbling empires, heroes rising from the ruins of lost kingdoms, and slow-rolling apocalypse. But I wasn't gonna get that from Planescape or Spelljammer any more than I'll get it from Ravnica, and Ravnica does seem like a prime opportunity for mechanical innovation. And if it pulls some of the enormous M:tG fanbase into D&D, I'm all for it. I may be a grognard, but I can still welcome new people onto my lawn. :)

AngryTiger

Explorer
Meh. Don't really care, but i'll take a look. Probably will never use it as a setting, but maybe the book has some resources i can mine for other campaigns. (voted neutral.)

mcmillan

Adventurer
I started neutral, but as I read more about the setting i've moved to excited. It seems a really interesting setting and I want to know more.

This is pretty much where I'm at, though I wouldn't quite go far enough to say excited. Don't know enough about MTG or Ravnica to have had an opinion when it was first announced, but what I've seen makes me intrigued enough that I'll probably be looking closely at previews as it comes closer. The only downside is it's probably not going to have much I can directly take ideas for from the campaign I'm looking to start in the next few months since it will likely be a very wilderness focused game.

Remove ads