What items would you like when you buy an RPG book?

Which of these digital products seem useful or appealing to you?

• Bookmarked PDF of the full book

Votes: 46 92.0%
  • Tokens and mark down files to use for importing into VTT

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Printable images of the creatures, either for use in VTT or to print and show your players

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • RTF or equivalent file, for ease of cut and pasting the parts you want

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Readability version, with larger font and no page background images

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Printer Friendly PDF (no page backgrounds, just the text and any important images)

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • STL files of the creatures for at-home 3d printing

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

Sacrosanct

Legend
They all sound like they'd add value, but the only one I'd really like is the PDF. In fact, these days I'm more likely to buy the PDF than the physical product for almost everything.

But it does need to be a PDF, and not some other ebook format (even one that's 'better'). Because the main use I'd make of it would be for a game I run at work, using my work PC. For very good reason, they've blocked pretty much all gaming sites, and of course I can't justify installing dedicated software for a game on my PC. But I can justify a handful of PDFs, and we have a reader already.
I can't think of a company that released a digital book and doesn't have a pdf option. That would be....weird to me.

Greggy C

Hero
Actually, yes I have. Next?

Can you send me my RTF version, cause its not available on Drivethru

1652206433315.png

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Well as a small publisher, who also does the graphics, page layout, illustrations and maps for all my publications. I never put art behind the text, though my font is only 11 point, not overly large. My publications have more than plenty of illustrations, but I'm getting older, and for a while now, I've found that the trend to put art behind the text as just awful in trying to have a readable document. I don't create multiple versions of work to allow readabililty, I insure the base product is art rich and readable - no need for multiple versions. I also create VTT ready and print ready of any maps inside a Zip file. The print ready map is a layered PDF so you can shut off labels and the grid if you want. This is what I do for page layout - it looks clean, professional, artful, yet nothing behind the text...

gemini-1st-2-pages.jpg

Last edited:

Greggy C

Hero
I've found that the trend to put art behind the text as just awful in trying to have a readable document.
I can't think of who does that though, maybe some small indie publisher producing modules. I can't think of any of my core rule books that came like that. However Dark Heresy and Shadow of the Demon Lord really bother me to read, the colors and textured paper hurts my eyes.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I can't think of who does that though, maybe some small indie publisher producing modules. I can't think of any of my core rule books that came like that. However Dark Heresy and Shadow of the Demon Lord really bother me to read, the colors and textured paper hurts my eyes.
Again I don't follow trends, though have no intents to set trends either, I just produce how I see it best from a graphic design point of view, I don't worry about what everyone else is doing, ever. I am small, though, only a little more than 50 products, though over a decade in business, and I'm third party, not an indie publisher, at least I wouldn't call myself that.

Last edited:

Remove ads