What items would you like when you buy an RPG book?

Which of these digital products seem useful or appealing to you?

• Bookmarked PDF of the full book

Votes: 46 92.0%
  • Tokens and mark down files to use for importing into VTT

Votes: 16 32.0%
  • Printable images of the creatures, either for use in VTT or to print and show your players

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • RTF or equivalent file, for ease of cut and pasting the parts you want

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Readability version, with larger font and no page background images

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Printer Friendly PDF (no page backgrounds, just the text and any important images)

Votes: 22 44.0%
  • STL files of the creatures for at-home 3d printing

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 8.0%

Bookmarked PDF is a must. I will add: Tablet-optimized, bookmarked PDF (some PDFs I own are basically unusable, in particular because of their heavy use of transparency). Also, if it's a rule book, I consider it an omission if there's no form-fillable character sheet PDF.
Things that support VTT play (high-res maps, tokens, etc.) are definitely appreciated and increase the value for me, but I would still see them as optional.
A full VTT/Foundry module would of course also be nice, but that's something I am willing to pay extra.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I answered for myself, personally. But I can see many things on that list that I can easily see would be helpful to many people. It is a pretty good list you have there!

In fact, the only one that seems of little value is the last - the number of folks I know who own a 3d printer is small. And, I think those models are probably enough work to make that it is totally fair to sell that as a separate product.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
I answered for myself, personally. But I can see many things on that list that I can easily see would be helpful to many people. It is a pretty good list you have there!

In fact, the only one that seems of little value is the last - the number of folks I know who own a 3d printer is small. And, I think those models are probably enough work to make that it is totally fair to sell that as a separate product.
I actually offer some of my products with an STL/OBJ file for 3D printing... here's two of my starship designs 3D printed.

0915181534.jpg

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I clicked on the link assuming it was an open-ended question, and was trying to decide between BMW X5M and a Porsche 911s Cabriolet.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Let's say you are interested in an RPG product, which of these options would you like to see included? Assume that if you buy a hard copy, you also get all of the digital options as well. The poll options are digital-only, as those are easy to distribute. If you want to see a physical product, select other and state why.
Other: none of the above.

I want hard copy only, as I don't have a computer behind my screen and only run games in person; and as I'm in theory already paying for the printing once when I buy the hard copy I don't want to pay (in toner etc.) to print it out again.

aramis erak

Legend
When I buy hardcopy...
I want the hardcopy to be readably large, clear, light solid background with dark blue or black ink. highlights in red ink.
I want a PDF of same; for screen use on laptop, and not DRM'd.
I want a "printer friendly" black on white PDF for my eink tablet. Again, no DRM.

Why the colored backgrounds, but not sepiatone images? Scotopic sensitivity. Too high a contrast, and things get all floaty off the page. Which makes the dyslexia harder to compensate for.

Why the black on white printer friendly? 1: I can print excerpts on colored paper. 2: my eInk reader's screen is light gray; the black on it is awesome for my reading. (Boyue Likebook Alita 10". I look forward to color coming down where I can afford it.)

While I like tokens and paper minis, preferably color files and black&White outline versions, they're not an expectation.
I do like any multi-page maps to have a singular larger format separate map PDF.

Remove ads