What level do you like your tabletop RPGs to allow you to achieve?

Max level?

• 10 levels, nice and easy

Votes: 16 25.4%
  • 20 levels, the traditional type

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • 50 levels, lots of growth to explore

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 99(100) levels, like a Final Fantasy

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Other (please explain below)

Votes: 20 31.7%

Slit518

Adventurer
I enjoy the "traditional" 20 levels. I feel like it's enough room to explore growing a character, and doesn't end too prematurely. It gives a good steady rise in power from 1-20.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
I said other. I like games with levels, but I also like games without levels (usually a form of point-buy, FFG Star Wars, Mutants and Masterminds, etc.).

I also can't say I like a cap on leveling up at all, either through levels or XP / points, which is why I chose "other." I don't really care if it gets unbalanced beyond a certain point (because it's too much to ask for things to forever be balanced), but I like the idea of "epic" characters. I've really only been in that boat once (where my players reached level 31-32 in a D&D campaign with over 2,000 hours of play-time sunk in), but I like the option.

As always, play what you like :)

ccs

41st lv DM
Lv.36 - because that's where BECMI topped out. Granted, I long ago discarded BECMI, but for some reason I just like that cap....

The AD&D 1e lv. limits - because that's my favorite edition.

But really? I don't care.

Jhaelen

First Post
The number (or even the presence of) levels isn't really relevant, imho. What matters to me is how much a character's capabilities change and grow over time.

I also prefer systems that allow a character to improve noticeably at a steady pace. If progress slows down to much, I eventually get bored with the character.

Since you usually have to put some limit to a character's mastery in a given area to prevent challenges from becoming trivial, many systems allow a character to grow in 'breadth' instead, e.g. by picking up additional classes, careers, disciplines, professions, or whatever they're called in the system.

It's also a matter of the setting and the kind of stories you want to tell. Gritty, realistic settings call for different caps than epic high fantasy settings.

So, I really enjoy all kinds of different systems and play at all 'level ranges'.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
I don't particularly care what number of levels a game has.

What I do care about is how long the game will tolerate the same group of characters being played and having at least some sense of mechanical progression. And I like for games to allow for my group to play the same characters for years on end if that is what strikes our fancy.

To that end, the games which have levels in them which I prefer are AD&D 2nd edition prior to the DM's Option: High Level Campaigns book because there was no cap on character level, and 5th edition which does have a hard cap at level 20 but also provides the epic boon optional rules that allow for advancement to continue for as long as desired, with the BECMI system of 36 levels then become an immortal and have a whole new set of levels to play through.

Whatever is necessary for the story to be told?

When I run a game I don't typically think about where/when the game will end. The players and I tell a story. If the story ends at level 12, it ends at level 12. If we make it to 18 so be it.

The last munchkin I had to put up with was completely thrown for a loop by that philosophy. He wanted to plan out his character all the way to 20 and I told him I had no idea if we'd even make it that far!

JonnyP71

Explorer
Lv.36 - because that's where BECMI topped out. Granted, I long ago discarded BECMI, but for some reason I just like that cap....

The AD&D 1e lv. limits - because that's my favorite edition.

But really? I don't care.

Cut from the same cloth ;)

I voted for 10 levels, but really it's closer to 12-14. Just not a fan of high-level play. I'm fine with the 20 level D&D scope, but I don't really need those upper echelons.

Greenmtn

Explorer
About 30". Plenty high enough for chairs but not so high that you need to get tall chairs and help the kids up into them.

Honestly. I like the vulnerability in the lower levels.

Remove ads