What level do you start at and why?

Felonius

First Post
VirgilCaine said:
Wow, and my policy was just 1/10 of the XP needed to level up for a written background.
Heh, what can I say? I have lazy players. :D

Some of them still choose to start at 1st level rather than take time to flesh out a character. :confused:

- F

Naathez

Explorer
I like to play 1st level characters at the start... I agree it helps grow attached to them and develop their personalities overtime.
I've played characters starting at a higher level and it just wasn't as much fun for me.

In the campaign I plan to DM, I'll have them start at second level, for two reasons: introduction of +1 ECLs from the start and a better feel for multiclassed characters. In any case, I agree that the lower the level, the better enjoyment people have.. this means the people I have usually gamed with.

Opinions may vary...

IronWolf

blank
As a DM and player I prefer to start at 1st level. In my opinion it really helps one get a feel for the character as he progresses levels.

If running a one shot adventure and the level needs are higher then it would be fine to start with an appropriate level character for the adventure.

Brakkart

First Post
I usually start my campaigns at about 1st-3rd level. 1st is good for some starts, not so much for others. I ran Freeport from 1st level and that went very much by the books, but for my current Snakemen campaign I wanted a 3rd level start as it gives the players a better choice of races (so that they can take advantage of ECL's should they wish, which 1 did). Plus its more fun as a DM I find, as you can throw some neater monsters at them right from the get go, especially as I have 7 players in my group so the party comes to about CR 5 right from the start.

I'm not sure what I'll start players at for my next campaign, though I am working on a GI Joe Spycraft campaign where the players would each have 3-4 characters starting at about 4th level. They would be given the mission brief and then select which character is the most suitable to carry out the mission objectives. Not sure whether I'll stick with that idea, or just have them with a single character each, the campaign is still very much in the plotting stage.

Remove ads