• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What lowish level Dungeon Magazine adventures work well with 5E? (issues 1 - 150)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I have a decent stash of the old print Dungeon Magazine and considering working on completing it, so I'm wondering, what lowish level Dungeon Magazine adventures, from issues 1 - 150 work well with 5E?

I always recommend Golgordand's Gauntlet, by the excellent author Jonathan Richards (of Challenge of the Champions fame). There is an old thread on it here. I think it would work well with 5e, given it depends less on monsters and more on puzzles.

Tormyr

Hero
I recommend Dungeon 124, "The Whispering Cairn," a 3.5 adventure for 1st level PCs. An Encounters / Adventurers League season with this would be fantastic. Interesting creatures, good puzzles, dangerous traps, and a side quest with well thought out NPCs makes for a good adventure. My table started with this as the beginning of our Age of Worms conversion in 5e.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
I think I have such a list. I searched the internet for Best D&D adventures, and Best Dungeon Magazine adventures, because I have the impossibly stupid idea of placing them in my campaign world for a true mega-sandbox. From my many findings, I compiled a loooong list. So I am in the proces of listing them all in a spreadsheet, listing levels, edition, and teaser blurb. Next step will be to list the requirements the adventures have to location as well as location names, so that I can place them in the world. And then, some day, I will read them.

Like I said, impossibly stupid.

I'd like to see this list.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Right. It's on my pc at home, so I'll see if I can find some time to post it along with some explanatory commets.

I would appreciate that. My first project is going to be figuring out why the illithid would want the Forge of Souls from the starter set, so I can continue the starter set adventure into the 2e monstrous arcana illithid adventure series.

So, Chris Perkins, superstar Dungeon Master, and also long-time editor of Dungeon Magazine, put out an article in the online Dungeon Magazine which was an Index of all the adventures. I don't have it, it's online and I cancelled my DDI subscription.
In that article though, he had a running sidebar pointing out all the adventures he thought were "notable", which turns out to be a pretty damn good list of best adventures in the magazine. I put that list in excel and started taking notes of level, and length, and types of monsters. Here is that excel sheet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5a9iis0w4bq4if/All Perkins notables.xlsx?dl=0

Yep, I already got that excellent ressource many a moon ago :)

Here's my spreadsheet.

It's an ungodly mix of dungeon adventures, old school classics and newer stuff. Some words of explanation:

My campaign world is in the making, but is a mix of Sword Coast North, Silver Marches and Icewind Dale from Forgotten Realms, and Varisia, Lands of the Linnorm Kings and Irrisen from Golarion. Added to this is Nentir Vale and Elsir Vale. So, that's the basics. This also explains why there are so many cold themed adventures on the list.

I haven't played many of the old classics, so I wanted to include them in my campaign world, sandbox style.

I read pages and pages of polls, messageboard discussions etc. on the best dungeon adventures. I put them on the list. This came to include some old adventures from Dragon magazine and White Dwarf as well. Some adventures had a theme that made me include them even if they didn't get singled out (4E Orc adventures, pirate-theme, fx).

I read pages and pages of reviews of OSR and Pathfinder adventures (tenfootpole.org, endzeitgeist.com, myrealms.blogspot.dk etc.) which made me include some OSR adventures (the top rated ones) and Pathfinder adventures (the top rated ones). Added to this, I included adventure paths - mainly those taking place in Varisia.

There are some bad adventures in there as well (some of the 4E ones, and some WotC 3E ones as well, fx). They are included either because they are an established part of the campaign world (i.e. we played them) or because they are part of the parts that make up the setting (fx Nentir Vale). There's a lot of adventures not on the list that are part of the world, this is mainly the single installments of adventure paths and adventures taking place in the various locatios, i.e. Undermountain in Waterdeep, Chaos Scar in Nentir Vale etc.

Anyway, I hope the list can be of inspiration to you. I will upload a new version as completion progresses. Any questios, just ask.

Attachments

• Adventures, locations and sites.xlsx
    48.9 KB · Views: 217

Remove ads