Pathfinder 1E What Made You Switch To Pathfinder?

Is it? I haven't tried to make a character yet. Something to look forward to, at least.

I am loving the updated classes. They're making me want to play them all over again.

Last edited:

Dover Cook

First Post
I think it's fun, but I could be wrong. My earliest text file on Pathfinder is a note about how much fun creating a Pathfinder character is compared to earlier editions of its predecessor system.

I think it's something to look forward to. :D

I love the updated classes, too. I still haven't made characters for all the Pathfinder Core Rulebook classes.

One thing I really like is that every class has benefits going right up to 20th level. There's a reason to not multiclass (although probably still many good reasons to multiclass).

Starfox

Hero
There's a reason to not multiclass (although probably still many good reasons to multiclass).

Multiclassing and using prestige classes has been discouraged in many ways, to the point that we don't really do it around here anymore.

* You already mentioned that all classes get meaningful abilities all the way to 20. Multiclass, and you get lower-level abilities from your new class. Usually a loss.

* You get a bonus each time you level up in youir favored class - which you choose yourself. For a single classed character this means every level.

* Archetypes allow a fair amount of deviance from the base class, meaning you can achievie many of the same things multiclassing can by taking an archetype that leans in the direction you'd want to multiclass.

Dover Cook

First Post
I second what Starfox has posted, pretty much. The only reason to multi-class or take a prestige class in my campaign, for example is a result of my recent house rule that a character can take class levels up to level twenty, but character levels may end up going to level thirty. I did that because the player characters are likely to hit the class level limit by the time we've finished up the second story arc of the campaign and I want to have a satisfactory ending.

Rottle

First Post
Really...4th did.

I wanted to play a still supported dnd and frankly I really liked their adventures. Still I have not stayed with it, there are things about pathfinder that never worked for me. I am dabbling with castles and crusades but might just go whole hog and head back to 1e......

Hereticus

First Post
AD&D through 3.5ed had many broken things in them, and I miss that.

Nobody ever tells a favorite story that praises balance, most of our favorite stories are about what we did by taking advantage of something that was broken in the rules.

But to be honest, for me Pathfinder is an improvement on 3.5ed, and I like the system very much even finding those 'broken rules' is much tougher.

I did not like 4.0ed, and IMVHO 5.0ed is even worse.

Multiclassing and using prestige classes has been discouraged in many ways, to the point that we don't really do it around here anymore.

* You already mentioned that all classes get meaningful abilities all the way to 20. Multiclass, and you get lower-level abilities from your new class. Usually a loss.

* You get a bonus each time you level up in youir favored class - which you choose yourself. For a single classed character this means every level.

* Archetypes allow a fair amount of deviance from the base class, meaning you can achievie many of the same things multiclassing can by taking an archetype that leans in the direction you'd want to multiclass.

Yeah, I noticed that with the archetypes and favored classes. A couple of the things I really like about Pathfinder classes and also big reasons I was thinking that going to 20 was encouraged.

I second what Starfox has posted, pretty much. The only reason to multi-class or take a prestige class in my campaign, for example is a result of my recent house rule that a character can take class levels up to level twenty, but character levels may end up going to level thirty. I did that because the player characters are likely to hit the class level limit by the time we've finished up the second story arc of the campaign and I want to have a satisfactory ending.

So there are no prestige classes or synergistic bonuses among core/base classes that are better than simply leveling a class to 20?

That's cool.

Starfox

Hero
So there are no prestige classes or synergistic bonuses among core/base classes that are better than simply leveling a class to 20?

Look hard and ye will probably find one. For example, guides say the Gunslinger and Swashbuckler classes are mostly pointless after level 5. But this is a rarity; in most cases the simple 1-20 build is if not the best so good enough.

Remove ads